Doodlebug VIN info? L4GM?

Fisher1983

Ive had the pleasure of picking up a Doodlebug last night. Shes rough and needs love but is complete and runs. However....Ive noticed suttle differences that make me question its generation like the sprocket and rotor, tires, and the dual slotted motor plate. (Stock AND Briggs! No need for adaptor plate!) The VIN is L4GMDGI 066S010176. Not the LUAH prefix I usually see. Anyone have some info? Pics later if they will load.

Fisher1983

Heres a pic. Sorry for duplicates....I still dont understand uploads on here. The steering stem is welded on crooked...Ill have to fix that before paint. I already pulled the motor but its a Lifan branded 2.8....not the "Baja" logoed usual.

Attachments

Last edited:
Interesting , Ive had plenty of DB's run thru my stable and 2 weeks ago I got one exactly like that , a larger double slotted engine plate , also no turning stop on frame or forks , I don't know what we have and I haven't bothered clearing off the paint to check the numbers but I'd have to believe it's earlier than 06 ? Perhaps first year made ??

Fisher1983

on an LUAH I thought the year was the last # ??
I know zero. Couldnt find any info at all...no vin decoder, or even a picture!. My motorplate is dented, the foot peg tube is not centered, and the steering stem is crooked. Im gonna fix it all. The wheels are different too....the front on a LUAH has unequal length hubs. This one is shallow on both sides and uses the same spacer left and right. The kickstand is even different. I would be mad about the build quality if this wasnt a first gen but since it appears to be, I wanna resto it nicely.

Yes I have one to

But the bigger bolt pattern didn't line up right chain would pop off had to redrill and move the motor to the side half inch.
Does your bigger bolt have skinner holes on the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I have one to

But the bigger bolt pattern didn't line up right chain would pop off had to redrill and move the motor to the side half inch.

That's the one I picked up 2 weeks ago ( just like it ) , interesting , how early year I wonder , perhaps it is vintage and really rare:laugh:

Take for example in cars. The 1998 Volvo S70 came out in March of 1997... They still have to put the 10th digit as a "W" in this case even though it was produced early in 1997. Because the Model year was 1998.
"Vins don't lie".. If you have a title or registration that was printed in error with the year. They always go to the vin not the production date on the door tag.

As far as the Luah or other. Those refer to where it was made and not when.

Fisher1983

Yes I have one to

The holes all look the same width. I LOVE that green! Looks like John Deere Green. My daughter wants me to paint it yellow but I like JDG better. If these ones are truly "rare" or hard to find, ill try my best for a good resto. That bent up motorplate bugs me. Good news is my best friend is confident he can reweld the neck tube on straight. I have also decided to turn my Tecumseh H35 edger engine into a Power Sport clone for this bike. It runs so damn good.