Double engines

Jer

Ok, I have a question. I recently found a small, lightweight go-kart frame today and bought it for 20 bucks. As I was pondering on what I could do with this I began to wonder if I could run 2 engines on it? I know I would have to replace the axle with a live axle and sync the carbs just right but what other issue would I have? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Your desire to run 2 engines in a frame that must be a live one wheel drive is a rocky road
I would question the worth of your frame to handle twin engines. What engines do you have in mind ? And is this a track machine or off road ? I think you need to start with some pictures of your frame first.
Steve :scooter:

Jer

The frame is in great shape! Kindy dirty and the paint flaking off a bit but its in really good shape. This would be mostly for off road but sticking strictly to the yard. NOt woods or anything like that as the frame does not sit that high off the ground. I am considering going with twin 5hp engines that I have freshly rebuilt myself. Right now it has a sprocket on just one wheel for the primary drive but I would have to switch that to a solid live axle with 2 sprockets. I will take pictures of the frame and post later. Is there any other issue I would run into besides making sure they are in sync and turning the same RPM's?

JER

2 looks cool, but it is a lot of work. Also syncing up the engines is more work. Just go with a good 6.5 and a Tav setup, it is more then enough for a basic go-kart.

You have two Briggs 5 HP engines and with all the performance parts they make for them I think one with some performance power boost and a torque converter will work for the cool factor. When your driving a Kart with twin engines you can NEVER tell which one is doing all the work under load. I had a Rupp J model semi lay down kart with Twin McCulloch 101's with twin carbs and running fuel. Off the line the pull was unbelievably strong and powering out of tight turns too. But rest assured one of the two engines were a lead and the other was a lag and that is on a track.
Steve :scooter:

Jer

Ok, I am getting what you are saying. I thought that if I had two engines I would have better acceleration and much much faster top end speed. But after wasting 8 hours at work thinking about this they are only going to go so fast no matter how many engines you have. So I see what you are saying. All I have are (5) 5hp engines and (2) 3-3.5 hp engines. I dont have any 6.5's. Plus.... After sitting in my cart tonight I found its WAY to small for me. And my daughter is only 13 months so it wont be for her anytime soon. Thinking I am going to sell this one off and buy a bigger one. Not sure yet.

Running a twin setup for a fun kart shouldn't be too difficult to get them tuned. If your planning on a clutched setup or torque converters - just run one engine at a time and tune them independently.

Jer

Well if I was to run dual 5's I would use an rpm gauge on each one to set the idle the same. Then I would have a bench mark and could tweak them if needed. Thats was the plan anyway! I dont know what I am going to do with it as of right now. But that would work wouldnt it?

^ For a racing kart, yeah a tachometer would be nice to tune with. For a fun kart like you're talking about - that's going way over the top. It's not critical - not even a little.

For a racing kart, in today's world, there would be a gauge set that reads head temperature, EGT (exhaust gas temperature), RPM and that would be what to tune from - mainly the EGT. Looking for ~1150 degrees on racing gasoline.

For a pair of briggs & stratton's on a fun kart, just tune them up independently and consider it done. Set the idle by ear with both engines running.

Then, have fun!

Last edited:
Awesome! I didnt know it was that easy. But am I really looking at any more performance out of it?
You figure it out.

Fun kart with 1 engine let's say is ~200#. Add 200# driver (you) now you have ~400#. Add second Briggs engine and drive train - now it's maybe 450# gross with twice the power.

It's been suggested in the thread to run one engine. I would also suggest that. Running a twin setup, for a novice will be headaches you don't need. You'll have twice the problems with the kart. Sell the 2 x 5hp and buy a 6.5hp and put a torque converter on it.

You'll be a lot happier.

Jer

Thats an idea. Probably what I am going to do. I have too many projects going right now so I will just put an engine on it and be done with it for now.

^ That's what's been suggested and for good reason.

A twin engine setup, is essentially applying a complex solution to a simple problem.

Tuning is not a big deal for a pair of B&S on a fun kart. The mechanical aspects are where the real problems would manifest. Also, the expense of the build. Twice the adjustments, double the maintenance and there will probably be vibration issues. Not to mention stress on the frame from the additional weight - not a good idea for bouncing around in the dirt.

We use something called ROI in my workplace to evaluate projects. Return on Investment.

A single 6.5hp rig will give you much better ROI and MTBM. You'll be way happier - the "Fun" kart will be just that - a fun kart, not a maintenance nightmare and money pit.

That's what the other guys are trying to tell you and they are spot on right.

Good luck with it!