Drilling the Jet on a Predator?

Big Jim

What is the stock jet size?
What size do I drill it to for after market hi-flow airfiter/header combo?
Same as the old blue HF clones?
I assume the idle jet will need to be drilled as well...What size?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
well, real world, it wont be very far off, on motors this small, a little change goes a long way.
get some number drills and see what fits the stock jet and start 1 size up at a time, do the main only, and read the plug to know where your at. remember lean is mean, but to lean holes the top.
the idle jet will probably be fine, make the adjustment with the air fuel screw to compensate.

Hey Jim, I believe the jets are fine as they are if you do the filter and header addition. I remember someone on here saying that they did the filter/header upgrade and the engine ran like crap with a larger jet...put the stock jet back in and it ran fine.

Might want to try the jet as is before you go drilling.:shrug:

Big Jim

Thanks Grant!
Just trying to plan ahead on my Quad project... been caught up in a cloned snowblower project for now.
I know the Blues run like crap after a basic upgrade like this.
I'll try it stock then run up in tiny steps if I need to.

Hey Jim, I believe the jets are fine as they are if you do the filter and header addition. I remember someone on here saying that they did the filter/header upgrade and the engine ran like crap with a larger jet...put the stock jet back in and it ran fine.

Yup I read the same.

Yup. I did header and milled head 0.077" on a clone. Bought a couple of jets for it and a 140 emulsion tube. Ended up running the 140 emulsion tube with stock jet. EGT still barely hits 1000 F when wide open, so it's plenty fat.

Might have been me! The stock jet and e tube are fine for the header/filter upgrade.

Ive still got the factory e tube and idle jet in mine. I have a 95 main jet though and it runs nice and tan on the plug. Not a whole lot done to mine. stock head with .065 off. 18lb springs 1.3 rockers. 8 deg advance key. filter and pipe. small fan. and the ngk plug with no washer on it gapped at .040 I left the hole for the governor unplugged to vent the crank case.

Yup. I did header and milled head 0.077" on a clone. Bought a couple of jets for it and a 140 emulsion tube. Ended up running the 140 emulsion tube with stock jet. EGT still barely hits 1000 F when wide open, so it's plenty fat.
Did you run it with the stock e tube before you changed it?

I read somewhere the bolt holes for predator exhaust are different.:shrug:
I had to drill mine a tad to fit. Not much at all really

Big Jim

Alright, this thing cannot get out of its own way.....
Header, high flow air filter, it needs the jet drilled.
How big? Start at the blue clone size or????

I'd like to have a reference point on where to start, so I don't have to drain the bowl 5-10times.
Not to be sarcastic, the reference point is in the carb. Where that is relative to what you will ultimately end up with is how it runs now. That is affected by altitude, humidity, temperature. Mainly altitude, so you can tune it close enough to run good year round.

What's in it now is probably smaller than a #60 drill. The clone I have had a #70 (.7mm or 0.02756") main jet in it stock. The next step for that is a #70 drill in the Wire Drill Index sizes. That's what's on the table on the link I posted.

You will need some non-standard size, real small number drills. Jets are cheap. OldMiniBikes has them for about $3 each. Buy a few sizes up, and a couple of spare stock jets. Pick up a few number drills.

Then, tune it.

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/Drilling%20Main%20Jets.php

.....Did you run it with the stock e tube before you changed it?......
Yes. It had a slight bog when going from 1/2 throttle crusiing to WOT when jumping on it hard.

Milling the head exacerbated the problem. Someone from this site recommended the 140 emulsion tube, so I ordered one and tried it - worked great. No more bog.

I also ordered up a range of jets when I ordered the tube. On my setup, with the 140 E-Tube it runs best with the stock jet.

Big Jim

I have drilled the jets on my blue clones. The Predator is a different beast.

So start at a 95 jet .037.
Thanks for the help, I just wanted to have a number to start at.