Ebay Heathkit project

i recently won this heathkit on ebay and i am to pick it up tommorow. this is going to be my winter project, and i want to do it right.:grind::hammer: i'm not to concerned about having everything original, but i will try to find as many parts as i can. i copied some pics from ebay so i will post them but i will take some better ones when i pick it up tommorow. like i said , i don't really care how original it is since i don't know anything about the bike like year or model, but i am gonna try to get as many parts as i can. to me, it looks as if most of the bike is ther minus the chain gaurd. the engine can't be original it looks to small.:eek:ut: it looks to be a 5 horse, and it's coming out and a 8 horse is going in!!!! i'm thinking the paint scheme may be light blue and white but i'm not sure yet i want to kick around some ideas first.also this bid came with a rotax motor that they said was from a snowmobile:shrug: not sure, i don't know anything about it but it looks old and cool so we will see:thumbsup: anyhow i will post more pics as i take them and keep everybody posted as i go.:scooter:

thanks! i hope to and i hope it don't break the wallet to bad!! the price i got it for seemed to be fair, and the location were i will be picking it up is on my way to work so i win there!!

Actually they came with a 5hp Briggs. The Boonies were made between 68-72 I believe. I have had 3 of them, and still have one. Let me know if ya need any help, as I have been through it all before.:thumbsup:

I switched to Tecumseh on mine, because all of them were Rollers only, and I dont care for Briggs that much, But if I would have had the original motors I would of kept them that way.:shrug:

Actually they came with a 5hp Briggs. The Boonies were made between 68-72 I believe. I have had 3 of them, and still have one. Let me know if ya need any help, as I have been through it all before.:thumbsup:

I switched to Tecumseh on mine, because all of them were Rollers only, and I dont care for Briggs that much, But if I would have had the original motors I would of kept them that way.:shrug:

so i picked it up today:thumbsup:, well it dosen't have a 5 horse on it, it has a 3 horse on it!:eek:ut: the tires look dry rotted, it defnetly has alot of rust but no holes or breaks, the brake drum seems to be seized, the left handle bar has a slight bend to it, the front foot peg on the right side is bent, the seat is trashed and ripped, rear fender as some dents in it and seems to have some sort of mud flap attached to it, the jackshaft mount may be bent as well.:doah: all in all i think this shouldn't be to hard to fix and restore. leathernun, were did you get some of your parts at?:shrug:

Well. The seats Kenny (ksb8ball ) can make at a good price. The tires I get at Glenns Surplus in shelby ohio ( best prices )They have wheels too. The brakes ? are they 4" or 5" ? Cause I think the Azuza brake assy will drop right in and fit.The fenders, Are the same as some of the Heald Broncs. The rear is the same as a VT7 front, and the front is the same as a VT5 front :shrug: if that helps. The jackshaft and bars you will have to heat and straighten, cause they are hard to find.And yes get rid of that 3hp :doah: . You could always go with a TAV and forget the jackshaft, just turn the wheel around.
:drinkup:

ya i was thinking a tav but i don't know any thing about them. ya that 3 hp has got to go, not enough power for that big of a bike. i think i'm gonna do a theme to the paint scheme not sure but i've rolling around an idea. that ski you got on that red one is so cool were did ya get it? i can't stop looking at it and inspecting it, i even brought it in the house for the night!!! ahhhhh.... that new/used bike smell!!:eek:ut:

ya i was thinking a tav but i don't know any thing about them. ya that 3 hp has got to go, not enough power for that big of a bike. i think i'm gonna do a theme to the paint scheme not sure but i've rolling around an idea. that ski you got on that red one is so cool were did ya get it? i can't stop looking at it and inspecting it, i even brought it in the house for the night!!! ahhhhh.... that new/used bike smell!!:eek:ut:
I actually posted a WTB on craigslist, and some guy in Mich or Wisconsin saw it and called me. It cost me about $150 to get it, But thats ok.(hard to find):thumbsup: If ya need any help or advice let me know. :hammer:

pk thanks i'm sure i will. keep you're eyes open for one of those skies. also, did they make them for the boonie?
:shrug: Uh yea they made for the Boonies. I thought thats what we were talking about :laugh: I have an extra set of original instructions for the ski as well , when and if you find one :thumbsup:

cool thanks dude!! getting ready to disassemble the boonie tommorow and take over to my sandblasting guy, then i can start to get the paint! i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with a jets theme(new york jets that is) white, green, and maybe a little black. i'm gonna have to have a custom seat made, hopefully white with green trim, and possibly the heathkit logo in black on the back. still unsure about the motor, got to take measurments for the rotax. either that or a briggs 8 horse beefed up, or a stage 2 or 3 clone. rims and tires will be new, as well as clutch, chains, throttle grips and possibly rear sprocket and brake assembly.

I am not sure that Briggs will fit in there. The 6hp big block Tecumseh I had in mine was a tight fit, and the 8hp Briggs I just used in my Wards T777 barely fit in that big monster. It wouldn't fit in my Super Bronc. If you do go with the TAV a 5hp Tecumseh will be more than enough. I have a clone in mine now using the jackshaft, only because it is my sons bike and its easy to start for him. When he gets bored with it I will probably go back to a Tecumseh :thumbsup:

I am not sure that Briggs will fit in there. The 6hp big block Tecumseh I had in mine was a tight fit, and the 8hp Briggs I just used in my Wards T777 barely fit in that big monster. It wouldn't fit in my Super Bronc. If you do go with the TAV a 5hp Tecumseh will be more than enough. I have a clone in mine now using the jackshaft, only because it is my sons bike and its easy to start for him. When he gets bored with it I will probably go back to a Tecumseh :thumbsup:
ok thanksdude i will take a better look at engine size. i may end up going with a staged clone than.i've never used the tav so i would have to do alot of reserch, being i wouldn't know how to hook it up. but hey ya gotta start somewhere!! i will get some more closer pics of the jackshaft and such next week, still can't find my :censure: camera!!

well i dug into the 3 horse motor on this today with no luck. i checked the points and reset the gap, cleaned the contacts on the flywheel and the armature, new spark plug, added gas, and no luck. it barley hadany spark. i think maybe a new points set may help. also the carb which is a flow jet style may need cleaned. i plan on tearing into the carb tommorow. i still plan on switching motors, but i thought i could get it running and ride it before i disassemble it.

well due to downsizing of housing i had to sell the boonie. :sad: but i did sell it it to my best freind and we are gonna rebuild it together for his dad:thumbsup:

I am building a boonie bike right now that I bought as a roller . I am putting a Tecumseh 5 h.p. OHV with a torque converter on it . I reversed the rear wheel and it lined up perfectly to align the rear chain . I am sanding the primer on it now and is in peices or I post a picture of it .