El Tigre?

Okay, I'm a newbie, and I don't exactly know what I've got-
The seat says "El Tigre" on it, and i did a search, and all I came up with was a mention of "El Tigre" and that it might have been manufactured by Bird, or sold at JC Penney...
Anybody have any info on this little critter?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, gents...KB2Rocket, I don't want to sell it at this time, but if I ever do, you'll be the second one to know (me being the first)
Now that you know I am not in the market to sell it, and I know everyone probably hates this, but can anyone give me an approximate idea of the value? The engine is shot, but the rest seems to be in very good, restorable condition

KB2ROCKET

I was talking about mini bikes at work to a friend and he was talking about a chrome mini he had as a kid but didnt remmber who made it or what it was called so I hit the internet trying to figure out what he had once I figured out what it was I set out to find a picture for him
well a good while later a EL Tigre in 90% good condition went up for sale on Ebay and I think it sold for just over $300
Hent grabbed the pictures for me and posted them on this site here is the exact mini bike http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985 Hent maybe these pictures should be in the bird section
also it would be cool to see the " trail tractor " in a polaris section (just a suggestion )

Last edited:
KB2Rocket, thanks, that is exactly what I acquired.
I'm not sure if mine has the jackshaft or nopt (it is being sent to me right now) ut when I get it out of the packaging, and re-assembled for it's first mock-up, I'll be sure and post photos. This one came off of e-bay last week, it was listed as an "El Tiero" by the seller, and since he was in Nebraska, and I *think* Bird was in Nebraska, I just kinda thought that maybe this was a Bird... I couldn't find any photos, but the photos I posted in my initial post, were swiped directly from the guy's ebay ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11&viewitem=&item=140145663822

Thanks Again-

Dave

KB2ROCKET

my friend said that the one he had as a kid had a 2 speed jackshaft with a second clutch on the jackshaft and that the springs on that clutch would break regulary. this might explain why I have never seen one with the factory jack shaft setup
good luck keep us posted

If this is a fairly uncommon minibike, I'm not sure I want to do any more "Customizing" or modification, than absolutely necessary, to get it on the road again. SO), if it doesn't have a provision for a jackshaft, then, it isn't going to get one. I used to retore old VW's (I worked for both US-based VW magazines before i moved to the redwoods of Northern CA) and I know that cutting, hacking, welding (other than remedial) and modifying a rare VW is very frowned upon by the Vintage VW guys..
(Maybe that's why they didn't like my 1957 VW sunroof, that ran high 13's in the 1/4 mile...:smile::wink:

KB2ROCKET

I own a 1960 racing kart called the Capitol Kart "UMP" Special their were only about 100 ever made and only 2 known to still exsist today and I have no intensions of doing anything to that chassis that is not original HOWEVER I have bolted two briggs OHV animal engines to it the key word being BOLTED
back to the El Tigre I wouldnt put it on the super rare list I would say that it is somewhat rare
vintage minibike prices havent gone through the roof yet like vintage karts have my guess is it has something to do with minibikes not having a racing history

back to the El Tigre I wouldnt put it on the super rare list I would say that it is somewhat rare
That's close enough for me, thanks for the info. When I was doing the search through all the usual suspects (Google, Ask.com, etc) I didn't find much mention of the El Tigre, only as a Bultaco motorcycle (kinda wish I had my old Pursang and Mattise back, too... but that's another story) and quite a bit of info on Rupp, Bonanza,Arctic Cat and some other ones.
Once I get it home, I'll re-assemble it, photograph it, and have lotsa questions for the gurus on this forum
Thanks in advance,
Dave