Electronic Ignition and Generator Flywheel Magnets

I am currently working on restoring my Super Bronc. It has it's original engine and years ago, I tried to replace the points with a cheap electronic ignition. The generator flywheel magnets were throwing off the electronic ignition and the engine was firing at the wrong time. I went back to the points to get it to run right. Is there a solution for this, so I can do away with the point?

MikeBear

I am currently working on restoring my Super Bronc. It has it's original engine and years ago, I tried to replace the points with a cheap electronic ignition. The generator flywheel magnets were throwing off the electronic ignition and the engine was firing at the wrong time. I went back to the points to get it to run right. Is there a solution for this, so I can do away with the point?
Use the points to fire the electronic ignition. Used that way, the points will last 30 years. Because it doesn't have to spark anymore, it won't pit, as only a little bit of current is needed to fire the new ignition circuit. Disadvantage though, is that you'd have to wire in a battery and coil, so it won't be a magneto based system. That means if your battery goes dead, you won't be able to start it.

That's how electronic ignition systems started many years ago.

Here's a circuit for a small engine electronic ignition from Home Power magazine:

http://tinyurl.com/87vvsts

That sure will make the points last longer, but a battery is less reliable than the points.:shrug: Interesting concept though. I was hoping they came out with a new ignition module that solved this problem, since I last tinkered with this bike. Would probably need a different trigger device, such as the points in this design. A crank position sensor or such, but again, now it is getting more complicated.

Nova II ignition module

Do a search on this thing. There are many websites that sell them and forum topics on it. I would list a website but I have it saved at work and not at home.

Thats basically what I used years ago. It will miss fire the engine due to the charging magnets. Here is a write up of the product. You would need to trigger using something other than the flywheel magnets.

NOVA II ? NEW IMPROVED SMALLER SIZE ? ABLE TO FIT IN AREAS THAT THE ROTARY #1986 NOVA WOULD NOT ? USED IN 4 & 2 CYCLE GASOLINE ENGINES ? SUITABLE FOR 2 & 3 LEG IGNITION COILS IN SINGLE CYLINDER ENGINES ? NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON ENGINES EQUIPPED WITH BATTERY IGNITION OR FLYWHEELS WITH MULTIPLE MAGNETS