Endeavor with my '70 Rupp

getting close for her to hit the road, and I have plans to take her apart again later to do her justice. so I figured its time to start a new log thread (the old one is 'conveniently' lost :anon.sml:)

A little background story... my Grampa bought it for me when I was 4 or 5 for $25. He lived far away and was too busy to fix it up, needless to say it lived in a garage for years. so the summer of '10 I decided to start learning about small engines (taking apart and researching a briggs mower) and I saved about $200 to blow on the bike. When I first started the bike I had no idea what I was doing. :shrug: I put a fixed speed carb on it and the little tec. fired right up... too bad I never checked the mounting bolts. :doah: After I watched the motor bounce itself to oblivion until it shut off I decided to check her internals. The rod and shaft were torn like hell, couldve been from lack of oil on the previous owner as well. all in all its good that it happened though, because this requred me to learn more than that stupid mower taught me. looking up parts and of course info on OldMiniBikes got some (and by some I mean very little) progress on h35. Between school and being broke and grounded at some points, progress was very slow. by the end of last summer I was a few magneto points away from firing it up. luckily I came to the sudden realization that- even though I knew the engine in and out, I hadn't bought all the parts required for it to run properly. but this little beauty was vintage and just begging for REAL help. And so I traded the non running engine for fenders, faceplate, TC driver, spare grips, and a set of foot pegs. Which I thought was a good deal. to replace the old tec I bought a 5hp briggs from nate for cheap and that thing barely fits the frame, but it'll move for sure :scooter:. sold off the original carb and talked to TRK (the guy with too much spare parts) for an h35 manifold and carb, which worked great. I remembered reading Nate's thread about the pipes so I asked him to fab me up something and he sent me back an excellent looking 3 stage straight pipe, wasn't a perfect fit but its all good because I like it being extended anyway. Not to mention that throaty sound it has that gives any real minibiker an ear to ear grin :eek:ut:. So Ive been learning the bike for over a good year and a half, taking it apart and researching things on it. but all in all I didnt REALLY start the project until I gave that h35 a new home. So its been what, 4-5 months I think? But as she sits as this moment, shes got all her body parts and a bigger engine. A roaring engine at that. All the neighbors love the little thing. But anyway without extending my story any longer, the moment you've been waiting for... PICTURES! :thumbsup:

(in order according to the story)
me and grampa spray bombed the front forks, no primer :doah: needless to say its scratched like hell now. but it was something to do at that moment of time. kids, dont :censure: up your mini bikes when your bored :wink::thumbsup:

Briggs quantum fixed speed (POS) carb.

Me trying to figure out why the hell the cover wouldn't come off... haha yeah.. it was behind the oil seal. :doah: :laugh:

first engine painting experience, once again.. no use of primer :doah:.

Pictures to be continued...

Gas thank torture? yes. I bet you couldn't guess that once again I didnt use proper preparation before painting. the greasy finger prints on the tank now tell me it needs to be done right next time.

Happily unboxing the new beast.:thumbsup:

Best picture I have of the bike, and a great wallpaper. the beast is sitting in her belly and TRK's carb is sitting in position as well. :laugh:

pretty cool kill switch I hooked up on Wednesday.

and this is her sitting as of yesterday, with the pipe and fenders. unfortunately the chrome isn't salvageable without donating my left leg to the chrome shop :crying:

as Im sure most of you have seen, the only thing holding her back from the road is a TC belt and cover. But I wanna redo the whole painjob and if you've seen my engine scoop thread, metal man is hooking me up with some stuff to fab a blower to go on the side of the engine. can't wait. and Im still debating on whether to find a way to get a headlight taillight kit to work.

here's a paint scheme I lazily drew up today.. may need changes :shrug:

and If you guys wanna hear what that pipe sounds like.. here she is. its a recording not a video, I gotta find a better camera for a real video :doah:

New Pipe - YouTube

so that's my project... in a nutshell :shifty: still got a long way to go. :scooter:

Last edited:
looks great MGR :thumbsup:

I like the way you write your posts, very entertaining...and I like the fact that your still hanging out with your grampa.....:smile: :thumbsup:

you shoulda left the "I'm so far behind......" decal. :laugh:

I'll be watching.....:scooter:

Last edited:
looks great MGR :thumbsup:

I like the way you write your posts, very entertaining...and I like the fact that your still hanging out with your grampa.....:smile: :thumbsup:

you shoulda left the "I'm so far behind...... decal" :laugh:

I'll be watching.....:scooter:
thanks kk (or kkk?) its very slow progression from here on out, I got people hooking me up with publix for some money to play with, im sending my stuff to the paint shop when I get the cash to do so. my paint jobs turn out terrible. well maybe ill paint my own engine, thats not hard. but frame parts are getting power coated. once metal man PM's me back ill send him a M/O for the metal, cut it in my engineering class and solder it in my automotive class next hour. and before long ill have a mini with a bug catcher :thumbsup.

oh and I tried, but it was weak, ill find some new decals to put on it later on :shifty:

Last edited:
Not bad kid. Live and learn like us all.
at one point I had a mountain bike brake lever on it :doah: (didnt work by the way)... its all good no though, I got this weird ass brake handle on there.. well weird to me, instead of pulling the cable it pushes the cable casing. maybe its not a new thing, but the brake lever say pat. pend. on it and I cant find it anywhere. :shrug:

what do you lack? funds or parts? or is that an oxymoron?
yes I think that would be an oxymoron :hammer: :lol:

I have a a few dollars to send to metal man, then im left with half of what i need to be able to ask mac if he has any fiberglass rupp covers left. Im trying to make myself buy the cover before the belt, so im not tempted to ride it without one and loose my ankle :doah:.

yep, that was over a year ago. recently my mom moved him down here in a 'cute' little rental home with the same ugly ass yellow bathroom he changed at his old house. yeah, there were a few speed bumps these past couple months but the good part is hes doing better and hes down here to work with now. we spent Wednesday and yesterday working on random stuff on the bike. took all day to get that pipe to fit, and I STILL gotta play with it to get it off my shocks. im just glad SOMEONE in my family doesn't hate the bike. gives me someone to work with :thumbsup:

Looks good so far you are doing a good job , Its great to have someone to work with it makes the job easier it seems .

Get your cover from Mac and I will send you an extra belt I have , it is a used one but in good shape , It is for that bike with a Tecumseh . I also have some used brake levers and cables if you need some . Let me know what you are missing for small parts as I still have some extra parts for these bikes .

Your gramps looks like he's in better shape than I am..:blink:

.....send that cat over to my house so he can help me with some of these projects...:thumbsup:

Your gramps looks like he's in better shape than I am..:blink:

.....send that cat over to my house so he can help me with some of these projects...:thumbsup:

unfortunately his legs started to crap out on him so it was all down hill from there. he was walking with a cane for awhile but my gramma bought him one of those magnet bracelet things and hes been walking without a cane for a few weeks now (I think its more motivation than that stupid bracelet though.)

He has the same need to stay busy as I do so we've been working away on it. not too many trails around here that I know of, I gotta get some new shocks before I think about off roading anyway. cause these shocks SUCK. they should be fine for road use but man, the squeal and screech when you sit down on it, there also really loose too. and I gotta play with my pipe some more to get it up off the shocks before I crack something. wrenching that stupid pipe is like taking a bench grinder to your knee caps. :cursing:

fat boy Ill take the belt, and If the foot grips are still in good shape I could use those too.. mine finally gave in to the heat :doah: name your price and ill find some chores to do for some cash. I call the manager of publix tomorrow so I MAY have a job soon. if thats the case I'm gonna have projects up my ass for a long time. the way it should be :thumbsup:

Last edited:
fat boy Ill take the belt, and If the foot grips are still in good shape I could use those too.. mine finally gave in to the heat :doah: name your price and ill find some chores to do for some cash. I call the manager of publix tomorrow so I MAY have a job soon. if thats the case I'm gonna have projects up my ass for a long time. the way it should be :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

AHHH there is no price I will just send them to you to help out the project . look it over see what you need let me know and we will see what I have . I know I have a set of pegs off one let me know if you need brake levers and cables .