Endeavor with my '70 Rupp

:001_rolleyes:

still SLOWLY moving along... :scooter:

remaining stuff to do..

bought some wire for my lights so that needs to be soldered, new tubes/tires mounted, clearcoat, engine paint, and a few other odds and ends.

I think as for painting the fenders, I'm going to do the silvery basecoat with two black stripes running down the right side.. I'll worry about fixing the tank at a later date. :hammer:

:scooter:

Finished base-coating the fenders this morning.. getting to the finish line one part at a time. :sleep1:

my stripes are god awful.. but at this point I don't really care. Nobody is going to walk up to me like "dude your fenders look absolutely terrible." :facepalm:

I think it looks pretty good. :thumbsup: What's wrong with the stripes? did they bleed thorugh and kinda mess up the sharp edge? :shrug:
not at all actually, I made a point to keep the tape from doing that. unfortunately it was really hard to get the line 100% straight since the fender is curved both ways.. it was a pain in the butt to lay on there to say the least. so basically the line isnt completely the same width all the way down the fender, but it's nothing anyone but me is every going to care about.

the paint laid down nice though. :thumbsup: :laugh:

I'm not exactly sure why I haven't updated this. :shrug:

I got the motor all pretty and started getting the bike back together and took a break and I guess it just slipped outta my head. Decided not to use a headlight because this bike wont be anything but a toy more than likely, for now at least. Decided against ruining it with that Chinese ATV taillight I got for it :hammer:. I know it's my bike and all but c'mon guys, I thought you were against stuff like that?

She sits in my garage now needing a new rear tube and a spoke nipple for the front wheel, just BEGGING to be ridden. The tank looks like hell and I don't know how long my rattle can job is gonna last. They way I look at it for now, It just needs to be ridden. if it breaks or the paintjob falls apart It can always be blasted and powder coated.. there isn't anything done that can't be undone.

Oh and while I'm updating this.. does anyone know a trick to get the jackshaft tight again? I don't see a way other than grabbing on to the sprocket, but I'm afraid to crank on it real hard.

anyway, here's the current pictures.

still waiting to hear back from Fat Boy on the spoke nipple. I guess I could order another tube today. but then when all thats said and done I still don't have a way to reliably start my motor.

don't wait for him, fatboy did that too me just ask buckeye he knows...
I've dealt with him before a few times and I can't say I'm disappointed. the first time I traded the original engine, Tecumseh h35 which needed a lotta work for almost every piece I needed for the rupp... fenders, drive clutch, faceplate, etc.

The second time it was for a bunch of oddball stuff like throttles, brake handles, hardware, cables, pretty much all the small stuff I needed to get the bike assembled.. he was gonna give it all to me free and I asked him if he would at least let me pay shipping. So I sent off $10 and a few weeks later received a box full of parts with a letter sitting on top of the all the loot. I opened it up and there was a $10 bill inside. When I asked him about it he said the intention wasn't giving me my shipping money back, it was to pay for my first tank of gas.

From what he's told me in the past hes got a pretty busy personal life, I don't like to start drama so I'll leave it at that. But all in all I think he's a great guy and the bike wouldn't have gotten this far without his help.

Just thought I'd give my two cents before this thread ends up becoming the next episode of "The Drama of OldMiniBikes" :lol:

I've dealt with him before a few times and I can't say I'm disappointed. the first time I traded the original engine, Tecumseh h35 which needed a lotta work for almost every piece I needed for the rupp... fenders, drive clutch, faceplate, etc.

The second time it was for a bunch of oddball stuff like throttles, brake handles, hardware, cables, pretty much all the small stuff I needed to get the bike assembled.. he was gonna give it all to me free and I asked him if he would at least let me pay shipping. So I sent off $10 and a few weeks later received a box full of parts with a letter sitting on top of the all the loot. I opened it up and there was a $10 bill inside. When I asked him about it he said the intention wasn't giving me my shipping money back, it was to pay for my first tank of gas.

From what he's told me in the past hes got a pretty busy personal life, I I don't like to start drama so I'll leave it at that. But all in all I think he's a great guy and the bike wouldn't have gotten this far without his help.

Just thought I'd give my two cents before this thread ends up becoming the next episode of "The Drama of OldMiniBikes" :lol:
I prob just had a bad experience... but nice bike!!!

thanks, got a new spoke and nipple on the way as well as an inner tube. All from blackwidowsports. I think with starting the engine I'll just have to turn my idle up higher, from what I've read advanced timing engines don't like to idle slowly so I'll give that a shot. But then I think I might have trouble getting the bike to sit still, because even with the engine barely modified it would want to go right away. So I may have to put Ruppparts' hot rod TC spring in it.. or one of those fancy manual clutches. For now I'll start dusting it off and getting things ready for running.

anyone know how I can tighten up that jackshaft? it's the pin type sprocket and I dont really have anything to grab onto but the sprocket and I dont really like the idea of that. :no:

Gettin' excited about this thing again. :freakout:

markus

anyone know how I can tighten up that jackshaft? it's the pin type sprocket and I dont really have anything to grab onto but the sprocket and I dont really like the idea of that. :no:

Gettin' excited about this thing again. :freakout:

what exactly are you trying to tighten? while I always zip everything on with a battery operated impact driver out of habit (lazy mechanics best friend) you should be able to tighten the driven up by hand, or put the chain on and back wheel on the ground which will hold the unit. If you think the driven is tight right now and you have back and forth slop in in the whole assy, cranking the nut down more isn't going to help, I shimmed up the one onthe 1970 roadster I am currently redoing (couple posts down thread):
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/80082-1970-rupp-roadster-matching-numbers.html

what exactly are you trying to tighten? while I always zip everything on with a battery operated impact driver out of habit (lazy mechanics best friend) you should be able to tighten the driven up by hand, or put the chain on and back wheel on the ground which will hold the unit. If you think the driven is tight right now and you have back and forth slop in in the whole assy, cranking the nut down more isn't going to help, I shimmed up the one onthe 1970 roadster I am currently redoing (couple posts down thread):
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/80082-1970-rupp-roadster-matching-numbers.html
I guess I was thinking it was like tightening a bolt and nut.. with a wrench on both ends. I managed to get it all tightened up today just by holding the driven in one hand and tightening with the other. It's all secure now with no play. Also finished setting up my throttle and I'll put the TC cover back on before work. Once the tube and nipple get here all I gotta do is spray the front wheel to match and I'm off. That shotty bondo/paint job on my tank is gonna get to me I think, everything else looks great but that tank just sorta puts a sore spot on the bike. So I might attempt round 2 on that before too long...I wish there was more light in the garage, I don't wanna stop workin on it. :hammer::grind:

Oh and I gave the beast another run today, the trick to starting is patience and timing. It feels like it has two compression strokes, if you yank on the first one it'll rip your arm off. I figured out you gotta pull past that one and feel for the second one and then yank. She's also really bad at cold starting and I gotta tune the carb a little better cause the idle is really rough. Without the drive hooked up at all she wanted to scoot down my driveway in reverse.. actually made my ankles sore just resting them against the foot pegs. This bike is gonna be handfull... more so than it has been in the past. :laugh:

Last edited:
Okay I was wrong about the jackshaft. it felt tight so I went to go bend the locking ring back over the edge of the nut and it knocked the bearing out of the frame a little bit which I think means the nut isn't on tight enough. But I'm not able to turn the nut anymore without having something to grab on to, and I'm afraid to grab on to the Driven and can't grip the sprocket collar enough to get it to turn. :hammer:

this is how it sits, if you look closely you can see how the bearing is slid from the holder on the frame by about an 1/8"

Last edited:
Got a surprise package in the mail today from our beloved Fat Boy. I went to thank him but his PM box was full so I left a visitor message. I now have everything I need, just have to put it all together and ride. :freakout: