epoxy on trisport body

here is what i tryed on my trisport today i think its gona work pretty good i just used some locktite epoxy but im sure any kind would work when it cures im gona sand it but im not sure what kind of paint to use? will it look good if i use a rattle can or will it be worth it to have it done at an automotive shop i know a guy that would do it really inexpencive? i know i got alot more work to do on the fiberglass under but i came across my tube of epoxy & wanted to see how its gona work (i think pretty well)
:grind:

Last edited:
When I painted my street Legal Tri-Sport I was trying to match the blue color of the new seat upholstery that I had made. I went to a NAPA store and had the profesional there mix up the color and he added a flex additive to the paint and he put that paint into some empty spray cans and seeing that the tri-Sport body is a textured type of PVC plastic with a fiberglass backing I was not too keen on spending a lot of money on custom painting.
Steve:scooter:

wjustice

The body on my TS had been painted several times and had many cracks and chips. I sanded the whole thing with heavy grit sandpaper. Then I used glass cloth and polyester resin to cover the entire outside of the body. Some more sanding, maybe some filler to smooth things and a trip to my brother the painter's garage and it should look pretty good.

it turning out pretty good but the key is to have it smooth when it dries cuz that epoxy dont sand very good iv been using a razor to shave it back down then a little sanding... the engine runs gr8 but its not mounted. nice looking 8hp tec that i picked up for free after i sold the two rollers that i bought for $100

george3

I never had good luck with that epoxy its just not strong enough. I would just rattle can it and save the money time and effort. its not going to hold. good luck.

thanks for the input but too late i already have some on there so we'll see how it goes im thinking there has to be a better way but it should be nice looking when im done these are just the minor cracks but i got some big areas that are missing fiberglass under that lol she is in pretty ruff shape

george3

You need to re- glass it. I just done my last try with that same brand of epoxy on a brake shoe re-line tried 3 times. the ends keep pealing up, woryhless garbage. I went and bought jb-weld and so far so good, epoxy never again.

wjustice

Most epoxies I have dealt with cannot take heat. A brake shoe would get hot enough to de-bond fairly quickly. Also slower drying versions (45min+) tend to have a bit more strength.
Hobby shops have fillers for epoxies that really help on the sanding part. Strength is affected some and they turn it to a whiteish color.

125ccCrazy

as George3 said, it needs to be fiberglassed with resin and clothe or mat for it to hold....The area around the cracks need to be ground down into good clean fiberglass from the outside around half the depth of the body and about 2-3 inches on either side of the crack....(I prefer mat for repairs like this)...The mat will be layered in and rolled out with a fiberglass roller to work out air bubbles until it's a little higher than the original body, this will give extra material to sand down until it's smooth and level...The back side should also be ruffed up and a layer of mat put over it....Now you have a solid repair....If you were to repair the gelcote the new mat will have to be ground down a little lower than the original body so the repaired area can be filled in and blocked level and smooth..