EXAMPLE THREAD! - The Yellowjacket Speedster

Yeah, I think it really sucks that there is a huge supply of dead pocketbikes to scavenge for parts, but the quality of the pieces is so low. But, those wheels were only intended to handle those little 49cc engines, so I shouldn't complain...

I need to machine a yoke-type hub collar with more/larger/standardized sprocket mounting holes...those pocketbike wheels are all the same hub design, so one adaptor size would work for all the different models...then we could all scavenge these fairly cool wheels (I paid $10 for this set) and not be afraid to put some horsepower through them.

Ah, Indian Larry...one of the nicest guys I've ever met...and a true artist as a motorcycle builder...plus, you can actually ride his bikes...he didn't ruin the geometry to get the look he wanted...so many customs made today are truly unrideable....just for lookin' at...

Unfortunately, the TV show that made Larry a household name also inspired an army of guys to build a bunch of crap that looks cool, but doesn't work very well...kinda like the Yellowjacket...

Having said that...

Not all my bikes are junk...the one prior to the Yellowjacket has a steel rear wheel, steel mounting flange, four large steel sprocket lug bolts, and high speed bearings encased in spacers and a crush sleeve. The axle is dual set-screwed to lock it into place, and I can run as much power as I like through this setup...but it doesn't look very cool.

I can squish a seat, bro...240 lbs and still growin'...most seats run away in fear of my ass...

Thanks again for the seat, Kenny...my wife says it makes the bike 'pop'...she wants to keep it for herself.

To sum up...

The bike didn't really turn out the way I originally intended, but that's usually the way it works when I start a build with just a wheelset and a general idea of what I want to make...

The forks aren't a springer as I wanted because I ran across that old Manitou MTB fork, and I never pass those by...they're too cool lookin' and really functional for minibike use with those heavier springs installed.

The corkshaft jackshaft didn't get made for this bike because there is only 4" of visible jackshaft, and I didn't think that was enough to really make it worthwhile. I try to keep the jackshaft as short as possible for better reliability.

The B&S engine was chosen over the Honda because it was less expensive, and works better in stock form...in my opinion.

The final configuration was actually chosen by my wife, and the rotary clip-ons were swapped for something she finds more comfortable to ride.

I don't build the bikes for myself...they're for other people, usually kids, to play around on and ride at bike nights and car nights while us parents are busy swapping lies.

Eventually I'll get one of my painter buddies to really spruce it up with some better paint and some pinstriping to make it stand out better sitting next to our fire engine red 34 Ford Coupe hot rod, and we'll let the kids play around in that too.

Go ahead, sit on it...here's a helmet...take it for a spin around the parking lot...don't hit any $100,000 cars with my $400 minibike...

Thanks, Kenny...it's the seat that makes it look good.

Quick update...

I made a 40t jackshaft sprocket to slow the bike down. I kept the 18t setup, and it will also go with the bike, eventually.

The bike has about 5 hours of riding on it now, and everything has been tested and adjusted. The new sprocket gives the bike much better low-end acceleration, and the drivetrain handles it well with a 240lb rider. As long as no one jams the front wheel into a wall and attempts a stationary burnout, the bike should work well for fairly aggressive riding. I've been riding it pretty hard, to see what won't stand up to aggressive use...better now than later.