Fairbanks-Morse clutch???

I just got a fairbanks-Morse comet style clutch. with driver and the driven jackshaft, belt style. What if any length does the driver have to be away from the driven? I have the belt, but I have been told that the belt does not have to be tight like the chain. Help me out here guys. Also I am getting ready to start on the engines I told about.

with the belt riding in the outer edge of the driven clutch, you should have about 1/8--1/4 inch gap around the center of the drive pulley. You'll have to have the outer half of the drive clutch off to see this. The belt should be loose until the engine revs and the drive clutch clamps on it. That's how Comet says to adjust theirs. The Fairbanks-Morse should be the same.

jimh is right
With the belt at the highest point on the driven, remove the outer half on the driver, pinch and pull at the bushing sleeve. Clearance should be at 1/8 to 3/16. You do not want to run the belt tight.
On Arctic Cat Climbers & SSS II's the factory setting is 7 1/2" center to center of clutches. Alignment is also important. With a straight edge along the outside of each stationary face of both there should be 1.14" of offset. Don't know if this works for your application.