Fire Extinguisher Fuel Tank

I've always thought fire extinguishers look cool and appropriate when mounted on drag-style bikes.

This project alters the extinguisher to hold fuel, but with alterations to the fittings, it makes a nice oil bag for Harleys.

Pic1- Fire extinguishers of varying sizes and materials are available new or used at numerous places, so it's not difficult to find one the right size for alteration to fit any size bike. This one is steel, from the 50's, half-gallon size, and used...a flea market find.

Pic2- The tank was already empty, so it was disassembled and cleaned, inside and out. The valve assembly on top unscrews to disassemble the tank.

Pic3- The brass siphon tube was cut off near the valve assembly. The tube wasn't crimped shut...it's going to act as a vent for the tank.

Pic4- A small hole was drilled into the handle assembly of the valve to allow a pin to hold the valve in the open position. This allows air to enter the top of the tank as fuel is drawn out the bottom.

Pic5- A brass compression fitting was brazed into a hole drilled into the side of the extinguisher about one inch up from the bottom of the tank. Leaving this space allows any sediment that enters the tank to settle to the bottom, and not be drawn through the fuel line.
The tank has been painted, and will be clearcoated. Since the tank is made of steel, the inside should be coated with a product that prevents rust. I use 'Tank Creme', but there are others available.

Continued...

Pic6- The completed tank, ready for mounting. The tank is filled by unscrewing the vented valve assembly on top, so mounting and location are critical. The tank must be mounted vertically, and positioned to allow access to the valve assembly.

Pic7- This project retained the original mounting bracket that came with the extinguisher. An additional bracket was fabricated to weld to the frame of the minibike, and the original mounting bracket will be attached with rivets after the frame is painted.

Pic8- The fabricated bracket has been positioned and welded to the frame. The tank is mounted at a slight angle to compliment the symmetry of the frame's rear seat stays.

Pic9- Copper fuel line will connect the tank's compression fitting to an impulse fuel pump mounted on the engine. This pump is a Mikuni brand, just visible at the top of the photo.

Pic10- The completed project. The tank unclasps from the bracket and is tilted outwards for filling with fuel. A short length length of rubber fuel line was added near the fuel pump to prevent bending the copper line when the tank is tilted.

Thanks MDB. I don't have it any more. I let a buddy use it on his vitage race kart and it came lose and got ran over on the track. It was pretty much roadkill so I tossed it.

I've seen a lot of parts come loose and bounce across the track, but never a fuel tank...sorry I missed that...mighta been interesting...I'm usually smokin' while I'm drivin'...

Harley-Davidson and Indian both offered clip-on brass fire extinguishers in the 1940's...

These are still readily available, and can be found on ebay for well under $100...

My favorite fuel tank conversion is a brass piggy bank, usually from an antique store or ebay for under $20...

The piggy banks are my favorite because they're so tongue-in-cheek...

Everyone who sees them converted to a fuel tank or oil bag smiles and chuckles, generally voicing approval for a cool 'novelty' idea...

I specifically avoided showing Harley-Davidson and Indian fire extinguishers earlier because many people realize these are a finite resource from the 40's, and they'll usually disapprove of 'destroying' one by converting it to a fuel tank or oil bag...and waste no time letting you know how much they disapprove of someone doing it...