First Bike! - Cat 350SS - Confirmed!

I wish I could but I have no idea where it would be. I just spent two days sanding it and I didn't come across one.. Where should I look?

Awesome! Anything else it tells me? Got most of the stuff painted today in my home made porch paint booth.

Parts should be here friday and then assemble!

Will a brake caliper from OldMiniBikes bolt right up to my stock rotor/sprocket? I was thinking even going hydro if the hydro caliper works.

Hmm, I don't really have any grinding tools here with me, could it be done with a file? haha I actually have the original brake, but someone ran it without the inside brake pad for probably 10 years and wore it down so much there is no longer an insert spot to put a new brake pad, its just smooth. Maybe I could get a new brake and retrofit pieces together.

markus

Hmm, I don't really have any grinding tools here with me, could it be done with a file? haha I actually have the original brake, but someone ran it without the inside brake pad for probably 10 years and wore it down so much there is no longer an insert spot to put a new brake pad, its just smooth. Maybe I could get a new brake and retrofit pieces together.
a file would probably take awhile! Where theirs a will theirs a way though!

I dont know if you could combine the two I was never lucky enough to find and original caliper for a cat. I cant remember if the bolt spacing between the 2 are exact or not.

Chances are, you need a new brake assembly, and originals are a bit hard to find. So you'll have to get an after market one, which will require a lot of grinding. You do not want to do this with a hand file.

Then when you get it all together, you'll see how badly this design works. :thumbsup: I have a couple of these systems on some Cats, and I always wonder if I'm going to actually stop.

The new ones don't even look they're floating. The old original I have has those odd loose bolts to make it a floating caliper. Maybe I will go hydro if I'm going to have to change it anyway.
I guess the best thing would be to add a rear rotor to the non sprocket side. I don't have any means of doing that right now. I do enjoy having good brakes though haha

The new ones don't even look they're floating. The old original I have has those odd loose bolts to make it a floating caliper. Maybe I will go hydro if I'm going to have to change it anyway.
I guess the best thing would be to add a rear rotor to the non sprocket side. I don't have any means of doing that right now. I do enjoy having good brakes though haha
The brakes float via metal inserts in the mounting holes that allow the mounting bolts to slide with the sprocket. They still suck. Imagine two tiny brake pads on a greasy sprocket. :laugh:

Search around here for posts on the clutch brake setup. Depending on how original you want your bike to be, this may be a good option. That brake rotor idea.....well, a lot of us have thought about doing it with original cat wheels, but....someone has to be first to figure it out. :)

The brakes float via metal inserts in the mounting holes that allow the mounting bolts to slide with the sprocket. They still suck. Imagine two tiny brake pads on a greasy sprocket. :laugh:

Search around here for posts on the clutch brake setup. Depending on how original you want your bike to be, this may be a good option. That brake rotor idea.....well, a lot of us have thought about doing it with original cat wheels, but....someone has to be first to figure it out. :)
Looks like I've got some designing to do.. I'm an automotive engineer that specializes in CAD designs, maybe I can create something. I was planning on modelling the whole bike just for kicks, so that should help. There is definitely a way to incorporate those 5 rim bolts to a rotor.

Try OldMiniBikes member Marc G. He had some disc brake set ups for sale awhile back. I bought one and its a nice set up.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...ew-old-stock-cat-fox-sears-brake-caliper.html
Hmm that stuff looks nice, expensive, but definitely nice. Ill have to hold off on contacting him for the time being. Trying not to spend too much on this project. haha You know how that often goes. Thanks for the link!

Some stuff arrived today!

and after messing about... !

Its far from perfect, paint could be better, stuff could be cleaner, but for where I did this clean up, I think its pretty damn good. I had a porch and non of my real tools! I like the rustic look of the beat up, chipped and poor chrome of the handle bars actually. Just a perfect level of imperfection for me. If that makes sense hahaha

The seat unfortunately under the american flag material had a rip... That was a downer! but oh well, also, I'm using the messed up brake right now, I'm ordering a new one ASAP.

Real pics will come soon. Also started it up and its so quiet with this exhaust. For some reason I got 5/16th fuel hose which is too big, I realize now its 1/4, so it was leaking gas so I couldn't ride it around. But it runs! I need an air filter.:laugh:

New Carb from Amazon.

New Fuel line, made from copper piping. Going to see how well it lasts, thought it looked cool. Was temporary because I couldn't find a 90 degree fitting, probably will make it more permanent.

Velocity Stack! Got this for a filter since my engine didn't come with one.
Tillotson 314 Filter Adapter : Go Karts Parts: Racing Kart Parts: Engines: Frames: Tires: Versailles, Ohio: USA: Indoor Track: Tips: Chassis: Kits: GoKart: Briggs: Yerf Dog: Manco: Comet: Torque
Its $4 cheaper than the one made for the tecumseh and fits perfectly. Also this has an actual vstack shape where as the tecumseh one is a cornered edge. Unfortunately... see next pic.

Filter doesn't fit with my current muffler setup. Ill need to make a better exhaust I think.

buckeye

Lookin good. Nice job on this one.

You throw that carb against the wall? That choke lever is bent in all sorts of different directions.:laugh:

:laugh:

It came bent already, then I had to bend it a bit more to clear my exhaust. It does look bend just about every direction.

So I ordered one of the calipers from OldMiniBikes and got my friend to machine the caliper flat on the one side(pictures soon). I go to mount it on, but it doesn't fit because the frame doesn't allow the part that rotates to turn or move because when you bolt the caliper down. Have others installed it on these frames? The only solution it looks to me is to eitherchop off that bracket and reweld, or make some sort of adapter, both of which I can't do right now. I actually made a hybrid caliper using one half from the new caliper and the old compression half from the bike. Doesn't work overly well though

:laugh:

It came bent already, then I had to bend it a bit more to clear my exhaust. It does look bend just about every direction.

So I ordered one of the calipers from OldMiniBikes and got my friend to machine the caliper flat on the one side(pictures soon). I go to mount it on, but it doesn't fit because the frame doesn't allow the part that rotates to turn or move because when you bolt the caliper down. Have others installed it on these frames? The only solution it looks to me is to eitherchop off that bracket and reweld, or make some sort of adapter, both of which I can't do right now. I actually made a hybrid caliper using one half from the new caliper and the old compression half from the bike. Doesn't work overly well though
I had to machine mine ensuring it fit in that V notch. Not a big deal, I did it with an angle grinder. I also had to grind a bit off that arm- which is what you are refering to I think? You can play with the initial arm setting and nut torque and eventually get it to work. It takes maybe 5 mm of compression to engage the brake there.

I've said it before, I hate these brakes. Pain in the arse to get set, and then tend to not stay in adjustment.

markus

Lookin good. Nice job on this one.

You throw that carb against the wall? That choke lever is bent in all sorts of different directions.:laugh:
I had to do that to a cat I had with one of thise replacement carbs on it as it was right in the way of muff :doah:

for the fuel line I cut a section of a long spring that was the same as the ID of the fuel line and slid it into the line, It prevented it from kinking making the severe bend.