First crash.. plus a few

My new bikes 1st.. 2nd and 3rd crash were not what i envisioned.

Got my 1st minibike about a month ago, a fairly pristine Coleman CT200. I've rode it on the trails behind the house and in the surrounding fields for hours and even though i've come close a few times, i hadn't wrecked. Have kept it clean and lubed up right, it looked good, runs surprisingly excellent and i have to say its a powerful little thing, the 196cc motor can pull a wheely with less trouble than my old honda XR200 anyday...short wheelbase i guess. I've gotten more used to a tiny 2 wheeler and overall was really proud of my tiny, inexpensive but capable minibike.

My Brother in law caught pictures of me on the trails, with his deer cameras. He caught me out in the garden today, and first thing ask me what i was riding...that orange thing. His eyes lit up when i told him it was a new minibike and that it was on my front porch. He ask me to ride it over to his house 1\4 mile away...he REALLY wanted to see it. As the proud new owner..i couldn't help but to quickly agree..soon as he headed home i made my way back to the house and with 2 practiced pulls cranked the bike up. Shot up the driveway, across the big field and through BIL's property, to where was just changing out of his work clothes..and meeting me on the front porch. .. this guy is a 220lb 50yo City police officer. He always struck me as a common sense guy..very capable, responsible ...he was like a kid at Christmas..just wanted on that bike. I moved, he jumped on. Revved it up..looked it over up and down and told me that "i've never been a 2 wheel kinda guy, but i love this!" I quickly ran down what was throttle, what was brake..and he was gone. He pegged it wide open right off the start and did the scariest wheelie you've ever seen across his front yard. His feet came off the pegs and his whole body draped off the seat..the bike flipped upward completely and he finally let go of the handlebars..face planted and the bike laid down on its side, still idleing perfectly. He jumped up, laughing and quickly picked the bike up. Jumped on it and gingerly burned the clutch all the way back to me. He was a bit red faced but laughed it off and once again told me he had never rode 2 wheelers much. I checked the bike out and it was pretty much without a scratch.
All was ok..but then..his wife and 18yo son stepped out on the porch to see what was going on.

TJ! ( my bro in law bellows) "get on this thing boy!", my nephew looks nervous and says "no". Unlike my side of the property, everyone over here is kinda sheltered from things on wheels, aside from cars. Good internet connection is more up their alley. TJ wants no part of it but dad bellows again and the big kid comes over. Before long hes talked into it and i stupidly run down the basics of a minibike, all the while thinking i really should go get these guys helmets. I really should have. lesson learned.

TJ takes off, floors it and does an exact rendition of his father, wheelie, faceplant, bike on side idling. He does get up slower and starts just walking to the house, making funny breathing sounds. his mom ask him if he's ok and he nods yes all the way to the front steps where he sits down and refuses to look at us. I think right then that i have no blood ties to these people. :biggrin: Dad runs over to the bike and picks it up ( "ITS STILL RUNNING" he hollars), and once again exclaims over its power as he again limps torward me at 2 or 3 mph. I check the bike out and while its carrying a bit more grass and dirt in places..all the body parts look straight. Running good. Stupid me and BIL exclaim over how powerful it is and again he mounts the little beast. Inwardly i cringe and again go over everything with him..he nods and takes off. Hes very slow at first and does good. He went around his house twice took off down his driveway, roostertailing once in the gravel. His fat graying self shot by me and my sister in law..grinning like the devil. I bummed a cigarette off sis in law (i don't usually smoke) and nervously watched BIL make it to the big field between our homes. He hit the trail at full throttle.. about 15-20mph..very fast on the rutted gravel road.He had just gotten to the big dip when he disappeared from view, right before a cloud of dust appeared. My nephew says.."i think daddy wrecked" I think...what 18 year old calls their daddy daddy? Sigh...sure enough, a head pops up and we hear the motor again. BIL comes straight back to us..when he arrives i see the blood running down his arm. "I didn't crash" he announces as he comes to a stop. "Did too" his son announces. BIL get off the bike unsteadily and turns sideways...he is a streakmark from shoulder to knee on his right side. Blood is running from his elbow and forearm. Shirt is torn and he was limping. lol.

Me and sis and law laughed till we almost cried..sorry to admit. (is that sadistic?) Brother in law finally laughs too, says he'll pay for parts and limps off inside proclaiming hes gonna be hurting tomorrow. My "new" minibike has a bent footpeg and plenty of new scratches. Runs and works fine but i think i just learned my lesson concerning new riders. Some people either need serious training, or shouldn't be riding on two wheels. Some other people, (me) need to recognize this :rolleyes:

I am hoping for stories far worse than mine to make me feel better about my bike :) (glad nothing really bad happened)

Great story. I always look at it as the perfect time to make any changes and alterations in the paint and stuff that you may have said originally "Well, not exactly what I wanted but good enough."

Doc

:pimp: thanks for the replies fellas.

Went out to look at it Cheezy and its not so bad, the design kinda protects the important stuff from much damage with the utility racks and footpeg getting the brunt of the average lay down. Heres some pics and consider the grip scrubbed as well but i realize this is what some of you guys call a "patina" down the road. :thumbsup:

Luckily, scratching up a 300.00 minibike don't carry near as much weight as other of lifes issues. If you insist i can probably get a shot of BIL's scabbed over arm too. Funny thing i noticed though...right hand side of bro in law was tore up..is the left side of the bike. :eek:ut: Gotta ask him about that.

Flipped? He had just gotten to a rut.. he or the bike tumbled, probably him. I'll know tomorrow or next time i see him.

Reading back over my posts, it looks like throttle control was the issues with both riders lol. Gotta mention just how that works to them.. thats where i was negligent..throttle control training and weight positioning. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like they both thought it was a toy and disrespected it.

My nephew wrecked my Honda C70 scooter. We were using it on land my dad and mom had bought to camp/vacation on. We had a private, dirt road that was shared by the other land owners and it was blocked about 1/2 mile in by a cable across the road. My nephew riding my C70 at dusk forgot about the cable and did not see it. Lucky for him the bike hit the cable and it was not him who hit the cable, although he did get beat up when he flew over the handlbars. :doah: Funny thing was that he was more worried about how mad I would be than about how banged up he was and just to stew in his guilt a little more, I was not on the trip, so he had 5 hours stuck in a car thinking about how mad I will be when he tells me. :laugh: You never saw anyone more relieved when I did not get mad at him and told him that I was extremely relieved he was not badly hurt. When I got up there, I fixed it up enough to still ride around, luckily the engine, frame and wheels were not damaged.

Glad your nephew didn't get hurt badly Paul, a young kid riding with his dad hit a similar cable few years ago, just down the power line trails from me, and was virtually decapitated. Horrible.

Cheezy i met bro in law this afternoon to put up a deer stand and i ask him how he felt and how it happened. He said he felt fine and indeed his elbow was not even picture worthy. Said he hit the rut leaning the bike to far left and the left peg dug in, send him flying forward and after catching the right handgrip in the gut he flipped off on his right hand side. Made sense. Glad it was no worse that it was, suprised the "big" tubing on the coleman was so easy to bend. Guess i could bend it out with no problem but its not worth stressing the weld. Eventually i'm sure i'll conform the right side to similar shape. :laugh:

That Peg is nothing a small sledge hammer won't straighten, just put a piece of wood against it and smack away until it's straight! :hammer:

Nice thing about it being scratched is the first time YOU scratch it, it won't hurt as much. :thumbsup: