Flag pole holder needed

Before I can legally run on the beach, I need to have a pole with a flag. I have them but I need a robust and reliable way to mount the flag pole on the db-30g. I want to fabricate one and I was thinking of just using hose-clamps(with rubber to protect the paint), but my friends with sand-dune experience tell me not to. They're saying the clamps will fray the fiberglass pole and splinter it. Does anyone have any good ideas? I want to avoid buying a $30
flag pole holder.:confused:

den35

Would a piece of copper pipe,capped at one end,and clamped to the frame with the capped end down work?Then you could run a screw into the side of the pipe(near the top end) to clamp the flagpole in place.Maybe even slip some rubber hose over the flagpole to make it fit the inside of the pipe more snuggly.

I cosidered that but I'm told that the weak point would be where the screw applies pressure, damaginging the pole. It looks like I'm gonna have to break down and buy a pole holder. Thanks for the copper pipe idea though. I'm thinking a metal pole might be the way to go (maybe a 102" stainless steel cb antenna?). I won't be near any trees so at least I won't have to worry about that. If I'm caught out there without a safety flag, I'm sure to get a hefty ticket. POOP !!:sadcrying4:

den35

..... I'm thinking a metal pole might be the way to go (maybe a 102" stainless steel cb antenna?). I won't be near any trees so at least I won't have to worry about that.....QUOTE]

That would work.But be warned.Those 102" stainless steel whips swing a lot of momentum.You may have some handling issues.

I had one on my 1982 Mercury Lynx many moons ago,and I could feel the whip swinging around on the back bumper.I can only imagine what it would do on a mini.

Last edited:
I never thought of that! Not to mention getting struck by lightning lol! Scrap the antenna idea. Maybe I'll try a bamboo fishing pole. Whaddaya think? Bamboo and ducktape seems like a safe way to go. All it has to do is hold up for 1 day. I suppose if I tape the crap out of it, it might hold and it probably wont cause any handling problems.:thumbsup:

Superior, not sure how thick the fiberglass pole is but there's always fuel line hose, to insulate the shatter effect, still use a hose clamp, but select a small piece of fuel line and clamp it 2 places on the frame, carry a screw driver with you incase it needs adjusted.
dave

How about an old fishing pole?? hit a pawn shop and get a cheap 6.5-7' pole and slap a flag on the end.

Damn, i guess i should have read further down.

Last edited:

den35

Superior,I think your bamboo idea would work:thumbsup:.How tall does it have to be?At around 6-7 feet bamboo would carry very little momentum.But,IMO,I'd use hose clamps to hold it on,with some rubber hose on the frame to protect the paint.I'd be conserned that duct tape may give out while bumpin and thumpin over the abandoned sandcastles.

But then I do tend to overthink things.:eek:ut:

I think it has to be 5 feet over the riders head but I'm not sure. I'll check on that. My buddies say they have all tried tape and it wont work. They ride fast quads and dirtbikes with paddle tires so their flags are hitting tree branches where I wont be riding. They all have fancy pole holders with brackets (in colors that match the bike of course). I'm not interested in impressing people with my color coordinated mounting bracket, just kicking some dirt bike's @$$ with the awesome power of the db30g with the 6.5 clone. In fact, the more homemade it looks, the more embarassed they will be as I blow by them lol!:scooter:

the more homemade it looks, the more embarassed they will be as I blow by them
:doah:Heck, I thought you were more concerned about how it looked. All you need is some bailin' wire, a big(long) tree branch, and a scrap piece of old t-shirt. :hammer::hack::grind::scooter::thumbsup:

Ha Ha! The only thing I care about is not scratching up the paint and not getting a ticket! Oh, and not spending $30 for a fancy bracket. I dont even care if the pole gets damaged but it will most likely fly off if it is.