Fox Sprite Axle

buckeye

Yes. That bottom one has the axle bolt stuck in it. Have tried heat and even a machinist friend tried to press it out. The one end has the bearing still on,as you can see.

Tom, The original Sprite used a standard 7" long bolt with a 5/8-18 thread. The holes in the mounting tabs welded onto the lower frame of your Sprite should be 5/8" dia. If that's the case; the axle that you're showing with the step-downs on the ends will not be able to be slid into place. The Fox Campus used a step down axle like the one in the pic below but it had removeable swing arms which were able to be slid onto the axle ends. Ogy

buckeye

That is strange. If thats the case then I should be able to run the axle bolt through the holes in the bracket right into the bearings in the hub???
Ogy, I just went out and looked.
The one that has the axle bolt stuck in it is for the front. Daah sorry.
The other is the rear.
So I need the one for the front. The holes in the fork for the bolt is 3/8. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

buckeye

The pic above,the top is for the rear and a 3/8" bolt slides through it. Then the ends are 5/8" and fit in standard 5/8" id bearing.
The bottom one is shorter,as you can see and the hole where the axle slides is 3/8". The od is 5/8" for a standard bearing??

If I can't find one,I am considerind enlarging the holes in the fork to accept a 5/8" bolt.
Good or bad idea??
Thanks for your help!!!

Tom, I have attached some pics of the factory front axle setup for the Sprite. The front axle is also a 7 1/2" long bolt; that is 5/8" dia. with 5/8-18 threads. The wheel rims attached to a triangular shaped hub with three lug bolts sticking out of it. Before the 5/8" bearings were pressed into this hub a spacer was inserted into the hub so that the bearings wouldn't be squashed when the nut was tightened. Once the bearings and spacer were in place the assembly was placed between the two lower fork legs and the 7 1/2" bolt was inserted and the nut tightened. I've never seen parts like the ones in your picture. Perhaps it was a home made setup of some sort. Good luck. Ogy

buckeye

Wow, thank you.
That is so weird.
I was just having a conversation with the guy who just joined who has a Sprite. It is in the what is it section. Joker guy.
Anyway, he said he had the same deal in his front and had a hech of a time getting his to work.
What you just presented is a fix.
But, my holes in my forks are 3/8" for sure. But,I can drill them out if I have to,so they will accept a 5/8 bolt.
I know it sounds crazy but the hole in my forks is 3/8. And the bolt that goes through that hole is 3/8 diameter. I bought new ones, so I know that is the size. The id of the axle spacer I have is 3/8. The end of it is 5/8 od with lips on it where the bearing fits.:shrug:
So wtf??

Tom, This has me scratching my head. If you get a chance could you post a couple of pics of your front end. Especially the lower forks, front hub, and maybe the front rims. I would appreciate it. Ogy

AAAAAhhh....A 1970 model. That explains it. In Ogy's universe Fox stopped making "true minibikes" in 1969. As a result I never paid any attention to anything Fox made after that. I learned something today. Thanks derekbmn. Ogy

buckeye

Aaawww man. I don't have a real mini bike.:laugh:

So,what do ya suggest short of getting new one made or making the holes in the fork bigger.
???

Tom, For the life of me I can't imagine why Fox went from a simple bolt through the entire front end assembly to a complicated assortment of steps, offsets, and various diameters. That being said; The question is: do you have enough metal in your front axle holes to be able to drill them out to 5/8" and still have approximately .090" left for the walls? If you do then your easiest fix might be to drill them out and use the 7 1/2" x 5/8" bolt and center bushing shown in the pics I posted earlier. You'll need to find someone with a heavy duty drill press where the part can be securely clamped down and the drill run at a slower speed. Let me know what you find out. Ogy