Front disk brake mod

Has anyone made a front disk brake mod for a Baja Warrior?

I have most of the hardware but don't clue what to use to mount the rotor to the wheel.

No these are 8 inch rims mounting 19x-7-8 tyres.
I'm moving up to a 20 inch in the future and want more stopping power ( there is a listing for 21x-7-8 I would love to test too but they seem to be a rare Chinese tyre ). The lone rear drum jut isn't cutting it for me.

I have calipers and hoses even some different masters and assorted parts.

I just don't have a plan to mount something on the rim itself to carry a rotor. I know this will require a machinsts and some welding in the end I just would like to see how it was done by others so I don't repeat any mistakes.

I could just buy a second rear wheel assembly and go front drum as well but I have enough parts to go hydraulic and would realy like to see how it works.

I guess If I'm forced to I will go front drum...

People put a lot of time and effort in going realy fast not so much interest in stopping lol.

Last edited:
I saw a Baja Heat/Warrior with a rear wheel with the drum brake mounted on the front. It was in a yahoo groups forum do a search and I'm sure you'll come up with something

A simple solution is to mount a 2nd caliper so it uses the rear wheel chain sprocket
as the disk. Princess auto has a larger caliper than the stock one.

It's a lot easer than installing a front wheel disk and increases stopping power considerably!

RobK

Has anybody tried anything like this as a front brake on a Warrior/Mini Baja? Hydraulic Brake Kit : Super Pocket Bikes Assuming the disc will fit, I don't think it would be hard to engineer. The only fabrication would be making a hub to bolt the disc to the wheel, and some mounting tabs on the fork. They also have individual parts and non-hydraulic calipers which may be better. I think I'll mock up some parts using the dimensions of the disk and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

I bought the disc brake kit on e-bay and welded the caliper to the fork(don't forget to empty the oil from the fork before welding)and bought the hub from a local machine shop and welded that to the shaft of the wheel and bolted the disc.I then painted the finished work after I refilled the shock with oil.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Pretty fancy looking rotor. I can't really see how you affixed the rotor to the wheel though. I was thinking of a hub that bolted all the way through the wheel, but yours looks a bit more elegant. Did you have a machine shop manufacture the flange to your specs, or was it something off the shelf? Is the flange welded to the center shaft of the wheel? Out of curiosity, do you find the hydraulic front brake to be more "grabby" than the mechanical read drum brake?

Now that's what I'm talking about. Pretty fancy looking rotor. I can't really see how you affixed the rotor to the wheel though. I was thinking of a hub that bolted all the way through the wheel, but yours looks a bit more elegant. Did you have a machine shop manufacture the flange to your specs, or was it something off the shelf? Is the flange welded to the center shaft of the wheel? Out of curiosity, do you find the hydraulic front brake to be more "grabby" than the mechanical read drum brake?
Yeah,the hub is welded to the center shaft and yes,it was off the shelf at a machine shop part store.I love the disc brake,its smooth and always works great!I'm going to put a rear disc in the near future as well.

Yeah,the hub is welded to the center shaft and yes,it was off the shelf at a machine shop part store.I love the disc brake,its smooth and always works great!I'm going to put a rear disc in the near future as well.
I think that's going to be the trick. Finding a hub that fits the disk and the center shaft of the wheel. I'm surprised a machine shop had one on the shelf.

It had the drum in the wheel and I cut the drum out and found the pipe to fit over the center of the wheel and made the flange for a rotor I found also and bought the caliper from comet kart supply I will end up doin the same for the front

RobK

DrGadget - It looks like that same kit is still available on E-bay. Any idea of the brand, or part number, or source of the adaptor you used? BTW, love what you did to the Mini Baja.

That is a cool upgrade for the front end. Disc brakes are always a good upgrade for fast mini's. Defiantly more info on the parts and were you got them.

That is a cool upgrade for the front end. Disc brakes are always a good upgrade for fast mini's. Defiantly more info on the parts and were you got them.
The link is below,this is the seller I bought it from but he's not selling the one I bought,he has another but I can't say for sure if it fits or is strong enough and the brake handle is different than mine,the one I have looks just like the original but black.

125cc Dirt Pit Bike Front Brake Cylinder Caliper Pads: eBay Motors (item 190438465418 end time Sep-08-10 02:09:26 PDT)