gammatg's - 1973 FOX Thunderbolt - (Vintage Open)

I wasn't sure if I was going to do the build off this year. Last year I ran out of time on my Trailhorse build. Hopefully that wont be the case this year.
I just picked this bike up yesterday, and decided to enter the buildoff with it. It currently has a newer hs50 that runs off of a snowblower. It also came with the original hs50. The plan is to tear it all down, blast, epoxy prime and paint it. New shocks, especially the back they are very soft. The rims should clean up nicely with some elbow grease. The tires I will inspect a little closer and see if they need replaced. It will need a new rear fender as this one has a large chunk taken out of it. The motor I just plan on cleaning up what is on it. Remove the gas tank bracket, address the throttle linkage, and clean it all up. I also have an extra slanted hs50 intake that I'll throw on. I would like to get the original power plant in there, but with baby boy #3 on the way in just a few months that probably won't happen. That's why I'm entering it in the Vintage Open class. Here are some pictures. Had to borrow Darth Vader from the kids. It looks like something he would ride. :laugh:
Thanks to OldMiniBikes and to Cheezy and MrPat for monitoring the build off again.
20170108_113958.jpg 20170108_114048.jpg 20170108_114113.jpg

Wow, what a sweet ride. Good luck with your build! Thanks for signing up again this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nice bike. I was going to hit that guy back to see if it was still for sale. I guess it's not. Lol
Can't wait to see what you do with it. I have the correct tc set up for it if your interested

I think everyone I have seen had a bent swing arm. Yours is the worst I've seen though. I went with an extended z50 swingarm when I redid mine. If you are going for more of a stock look. I suggest beefing up whatever tube they used.

20170109_122238.jpg 41830.jpeg
I had a little time this morning to mock a few things up. I got rid of all of the snowblower crap (gas tank bracket, long dipstick, red throttle, square exhaust and primer bulb). I put on a hs50 slanted intake I had and a more correct exhaust. Since an original exhaust will probably be impossible to find, I was thinking of a replacement. I was messing around with an extra 70 Rupp Roadster exhaust and that might actually look pretty good on it. It will bolt to the upper shock mount just like it would on a Rupp. I'll just have to bolt a little extention on the muffler bracket so it can bolt to the shock mount. That motor looks much better already. I still have to fill in the holes on the shroud, give it a good cleaning and a few more things. Then that will be ready for paint.
I also may have a line on a straight original swingarm. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I'm new to the minibike world and I'm seeing a lot of the full suspension bikes. A few months ago, I thought all minibikes were solid mounted. Very interesting to see all the differences and unique machines. Going to be an interesting build to watch.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Picked up a few more pieces. I recieved a set of tank decals from Cory (Bikebuddy) and also found a straight stock swingarm by way of Simple Tom's brother in law Matthew. I hope to disassemble the bike tomorrow and get it over to my friend Rich so he can blast, epoxy prime and paint it black. 20170120_185615.jpg 20170120_185701.jpg

I suggest some sort of reinforcement of the swingarm. They are way too weak. Maybe cut them and insert a rod in them. Better to do it now then after its all back to better and then bends...