Garage ventless heater

I've been considering a mini-split heat pump for my garage. Heat and cooling together in a tight package. Also, fire sprinklers for the garage.
My garage is 1400 square feet. Since I used the split units for the three decades I lived in Asia, I was keen on them. Come to find out, I'd need two of them for my garage, at a cost of close to $3K. For another $1K, I can get a roof mount, (that's how we do them in the desert) that puts out a lot more everything. I'm still saving money for it. By that time, I'll need a replacement for my house too.

Sprinklers are a great idea! A couple of years ago, the guy down the street's garage caught fire. Burned up everything in the garage, including a 1970 Vette, and half of his house. He was home at the time, but caught it too late. Never did find the cause.

I am a bit paranoid about fires. It's the main reason I'm dry-walling my garage right now (The previous owner had chip board up) I'm going to be modifying a fire alarm so I can have it in a proper location but still be able to turn it off and on while I work... some kind of sprinkler system would really help me relax...

I am a bit paranoid about fires. It's the main reason I'm dry-walling my garage right now (The previous owner had chip board up) I'm going to be modifying a fire alarm so I can have it in a proper location but still be able to turn it off and on while I work... some kind of sprinkler system would really help me relax...
Unless you have a bigger supply like 3 or 4 inch you wont get anything out of a sprinkler system. Been there researched that and its flat expensive and residential areas don't have enough water main supply to support a sprinkler in most places. I talked to a lot of people about it years ago when I built my first shop and finally decided that I really didn't have a choice in the matter. Not enough supply, not a big enough supply, not enough money to change those and a sprinkle from a sprinkler is just not going to help. That is why you see the big 10 inch supply run to big places like Walmart's and Grocery stores. I have friends in the demolition business and they demolished a grocery store years ago and I got all the lights and all the sprinkler heads and some pipe. Then I found out that it wouldn't work off of a residential supply.

If you think about it and have ever noticed, every factory that you pass has there own water tower. It aint for looks, its for the sprinkler system. That makes them independent of the water company for as long as the tank holds out. And yes the local water system supplies the tank.

Doug

My local building codes says to keep any open flame device in a garage 24 inches at least off the floor. Gas fumes settle down. So if you use one of these, keep them up off the floor. They use a similar type in RV's so CO2 or CO3 shouldn't be a concern if everything is working right. I just wouldn't sleep in a room with one on.