Gas Tank Hits The Tire

THis 5hp B&S I just took out of a leaf blower. When I tried to bolt it to the new Arco frame, the tank hit the tire. The carb is mounted to the tank. What's the easiest way to take the tank off and run one on the top of the backbone?

Can I swap the carb with this old one from a Tecumseh?

Thanks!

You can get a briggs downdraft carb (or other if you can make a manifold) or raise the engine on an aluminum block, or use a smaller tires, or weld a new rear bracket, or get a Tecumseh engine.

Thats wired the bike has no room. :doah:

can you ablong the mounting holes enough to push the engine forward alittle more
Doesn't look like he has ANY room!

going up would be the cheapest solution but the engine has to be supported evenly on all sides with a solid plate as to not crack the mount holes or block. some aluminum plate with holes drilled in it should work fine.

I had to raise a briggs in my Bonanza because that engines recoil cover hit the frame! I thought that was pretty stupid for them to weld a mount on a bike that is below the frame bars so only some engines fit. :eek:ut:

Last edited:

jeep4me

By the looks of how far you have to raise you motor to clear the tire, I don't think rubber bushings are the best idea. I would try the solid piece of aluminum like GTO said. Or figure out what size and thickness you'll need and go to the scrap yard, you should be able to find something there that will work.

1" box tube will do ya. Thats is how I got the 5 hp briggs to fit the boonie with out hitting the jack shaft. I have a side view in my photos if your interested.

Last edited:

richs

eather way as long as it works and you can ride i just sugested another way you should try 1 at a time till it works hey xsspeed were in md are you im infredrick md gota go riding

drheilman

You may want to try putting a smaller gas tank off a briggs 2-3 hp they are about 2 inches shorter then the 5 hp model. You will need to change the intake tubes.

eather way as long as it works and you can ride i just sugested another way you should try 1 at a time till it works hey xsspeed were in md are you im infredrick md gota go riding
I'm in Dunkirk (about 2 hours from you) by Chesapeake Beach towards Solomons Island.

I used 1"x1/2" steel channel (front and rear) on my Doodlebug. Without it the TAV2 backplate was hitting the rear fender support. (see pic) :scooter:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/OldMiniBikes/OMB11.jpg

richs

sh&*# we could go on forever spend the money get new tank and pickup tubes or go cheap and shim up with some flat washers or inbetween what ever get it running ride it and decide as you go xsspeed this summer Iwill catch up with you sometime and well hit the road hopefully not literly:drinkup:

No, I wouldn't do washers.

For the last freekin time! You want the WHOLE engine suported under there, the block is aluminum and can crack, if you tighten down one side more than the other or put stress on it while riding, you will be screwed.

OK??????????????????????????:doah:

I lifted it last nite and it still rubs at the highest point. I may just cust and section the tank and weld it so the whole tank is cut diagonally and runs like a fender on the wheel (and still raise it)

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't be welding on a used gas tank! (cleaned or not) :doah: Plus it's alot of work for nothin.

OK, you want that engine/carb,,,, so why not buy an engine mount plate $7 , (Or make one) and weld it to the foot bar up front and original mount in rear, then just ream out the rear holes. If your engine goes bad you'll need something universal anyway.

delray

XsSpeed,i have not read everbodys input on this, but two easy ways to fix it would be to cut the welds on the engine mount plate and move it forward and reweld it or just find a tecumseh with a front mount gas tank.(dime a dozen)
some stock minibike frames are just not built for the briggs rear tank:doah: and when try to make them fit they still look like hell on the minibike frame.
i still like that type of briggs design . easy to rebuild carb and etc... and less moving parts to wear out then a tecumseh.
:scooter:........................