Gas tank rust

Thanks for the link i have read them, i have tried the marbles, and acid and it seems to have cleaned most of it out.. maybe i should have asked the question the right way in the first place.. after cleaning the tank out.. what should i use in the tank to prevent it from coming back.. i thought i read on here someone used something to coat the inside of the tank after cleaning the rust out?

being off season here now the bike is going to sit empty and i dont want to have to clean it next year..

I've never had to clean and seal a minibike tank, but I have cleaned and sealed car gas tanks. I used the kit from J.C. Whitney. It has acid to clean and etch the inside and then a coating to seal it. I've been pleased with the outcome. Since the kit is for a car tank there's more than enough to do a minibike tank.

bandit 40

I've never had to clean and seal a minibike tank, but I have cleaned and sealed car gas tanks. I used the kit from J.C. Whitney. It has acid to clean and etch the inside and then a coating to seal it. I've been pleased with the outcome. Since the kit is for a car tank there's more than enough to do a minibike tank.
I sealed my boat tank with this, only because it was trashed:thumbsup: it does work great. but Im sure there is a cheaper product.

t.. maybe i should have asked the question the right way in the first place.. after cleaning the tank out.. what should i use in the tank to prevent it from coming back..
I think I know what you are getting at, I would like know how to keep the tank from re rusting without using a sealer like redkote/ kreem/ caswell etc.

What I mean is if you have a tank with minimal flash rust on the inside, and you evaporust (or use whatever) the rust away, how do you keep the bare steel look, without it rusting? Do manufacturers use some kind of coating, spray or what? I have a few tanks like this, I don't need to seal them (no leaks) but they do have some reappearing rust after cleaning. Maybe fogging oil? or even a spray of wd40?

I think I know what you are getting at, I would like know how to keep the tank from re rusting without using a sealer like redkote/ kreem/ caswell etc.
I misunderstood the question. I don't know of a "clear" sealer for gas tanks. I guess it's like the clear coat on car paint. Once the clear coat has failed there's not much you can do except repaint, which is where the tank sealer kits step in.