gearing help

though search I think I know what I want to do, but I would like to ask for help anyway. First; My name is Dustin and I am very happy to find this site, it seems like a great resource forall things small engine related :) I have a couple of go carts, one has a 6.5 gh with a max torque TAV. the other has a clutch and sproket. the small kart with the max torque run great esp since i took off the gov(it goes hella fast and has plenty of low end) the larger one(with full susp and what not) is a dog off the line but will go very fast given enough straight trail. it currently has 12 on clutch 60 on axel(5:1) and I was thinking about putting an 84 on the axel. later i want to put a 2 speed jackshaft on it. will the new gearing w/out the 2 speed give me enough low end to make me happy(able to spin the tires in a fast turn), or am i going to need to get to 13:1 for that. It has a 6.5 honda for engine.

Schlayer, With an 84 on the rear you will probably be able to pull up tree stumps; however your motor will reach maximum rpm quickly and you will only be going 25mph. A 12t to 72t would be a nice in between ratio and should give you that extra oomph off the line and still allow you to reach a reasonable top speed. Try it and good luck. Ogy

I think I will try that then,also the clutch seems to engage really quickly. basically with the current gearing you have to kinda push it to get it moving. would you know a reasonably priced clutch that might help with that. I think the clutch i have is a hillard.

Last edited: