getting rust off chrome?

Steel wool without soap.
Comes in different grades.
Start with a fine or med,, heavy can leave scratches. Careful as the rust is removed you can eat unto the Crome; if the Crome plating is thin.
You cantake your drill and put a large drill bit on it ,,, then run the bit thru a clump of steel wool and let it spin. Works good on heavy areas andhard to reach crevices.
Works like magic!!!!

Last edited:
I love my method, I have posted it before. I purchased this diamond in the rough one week before funday

Two days before funday

funday letting people take it for a burn

KB2ROCKET

abrasive methods get abrasive results this is something to remember as you watch the rust go away as you wet scrub with some type of abrasive only to learn that once it drys its all scratched up. but this scratched up surface might look alot better than the rusted surface only you can decide:thumbsup:

Very true KB. Abrasives will leave you with a "brushed" finish (which I personally happen to like). They will NOT make chrome look like shiny chrome again.

i always use 000 super fine steel wool with some sort of lubricant. usually pb blaster. it wont leave scratches and if you cant get the rust off it like that the chrome is is probrobly pitted and too far gone. In which case id normally wire wheel it. but a wire wheel last resort. the chrome on most minis is thin an sucky in the first place. Like I always say if you rub something enough you can get anything off :laugh:

I've used kitchen scrubbing pads such as S.O.S. pads or Brillo pads in the past. The soap acts as a lubricant and the steel wool is fine enough that it won't damage the surface to much.

Andrewp

That fender has the factory stripe decal on the other side. Evaporust didn't hurt it at all. Still on there since the 60's.