Gilson Restomod

This was breakdown weekend. I started off with a much needed cleaning of the work area.

I started breaking things down and doing some final welding. I finished welding my reinforcement plate on the bottom of the forks. I also added some gussets inside the top of the forks but I don't have pics of that.

While doing my test rides last week I noticed the chain had become quite loose. I figured it was just a result of the chain stretching even though it seemed like too much movement for that. Disassembly showed the true cause. Apparently when I drill these out they lost too much strength. I'll have to find new ones that don't need drilled out.

My foot pegs didn't fold down evenly. I had to add a little material to the left peg and take a little off the driver's side so they were even.

Bags of parts and hardware that don't need paint or powdercoat.

Apart

Boxes of parts, separated by the color they will get painted and powdercoated. I'll be taking them to my dad's tonight so I can get them sandblasted this week.

Any suggestions on how to best clean up the engine for paint? I'm hoping to not disassemble it too much more. I just want to spray it with a white paint designed for high temp purposes.

I'd get the electrical stuff off and seal up ports and then shoot it carb cleaner. Get a set of wire and nylon brushes and get the big stuff off. You'll probably need to use a small blade screwdriver to get between the fins (I use the tiny ones for eyeglasses and other small screws). After you get it clean, then go over it with steel wool and acetone or toluene or paint prep (just be careful around the seals). The steel wool can fit in crevices and between the fins. The acetone/toluene/paint prep evaps quickly so you can blow the excess steel wool of the engine. Then check for any remaining bits of grease and oil. There's going to be a place you missed. The fins may have some corrosion, I'm not sure the best way to fix that other than open coat sand paper or 120 grit drywall paper (the paper will get clogged up quick).

I can see I'll be kicking myself for selling mine...
I'll say it again. Killer job with seeing this through. I'm embarrassed to bring some of my junk now.

Apparently a soldered tank doesn't like to be powdercoated. I had the tank in the oven to outgas and the fuel cap neck came off and the seam in the middle of the tank started weeping. I guess I'm going to have to JB Weld both of these spots. I know the JB Weld will take the heat.

Anyone know if the brake lining of a band brake will hold up to 400*? The bank brake is supposed to be the same color as the frame but if the lining won't hold up to the temps I'll just have to paint it black.

If I paint it the color will never match.
I know you have a deadline, but an idea: Most auto body shops can color match just about any color. You could go with just a painted tank in black temporarily and get the filler neck properly welded back on, then when you have time get the tank sprayed in your desired color.

Another look for--you'll need a good set of reams during reassembly. The powder coat really messes with fitment--especially bolts. I had horrible issues with my first bike which I had powder coated.

Last edited:
I know you have a deadline, but an idea: Most auto body shops can color match just about any color. You could go with just a painted tank in black temporarily and get the filler neck properly welded back on, then when you have time get the tank sprayed in your desired color.

Another look for--you'll need a good set of reams during reassembly. The powder coat really messes with fitment--especially bolts. I had horrible issues with my first bike which I had powder coated.
Unfortunately you're doesn't allow me to deal with getting paint match. Even if it did the finish wouldn't be real consistent with everything else. I'm well versed in assembling powdercoated stuff. My other bike is totally powdercoated, no paint. I have taps for running through any threads that get powder on them. I don't really try and cost too many bolts anymore. I used to but you're right, it just causes problems. 95% of the hardware on this bike will be brand new stainless.