Go Power Wheels casting flaws

I've had a few sets of go-power wheels and now two sets have had these casting slag marks that are raised up with a sharp edge on a smooth surface where others were peened in this area and polished on the rim and the edges of the holes with no flaws, I've also had some repop Mancos with the same flaws and when I polished em off the Mancos there were marks left. I have not tried to do anything except on the inside and it seems these lines remain once polished. So I've decided to go buy some glass beads and bead blast the wheels, it worked on another set with a little less flaws but not by much. I had some painted ones that showed similar ghost lines once the chemical stripper was used and they also disappeared when blasted so I have confidence they will look fine on what will be my new rider. These flaws cost me the sale of this BC1200 to a member here so I'm curious to see if there was a time period where this was common with the wheels. Has anyone else had this issue with go-powers?

Last edited:
i have not had go powers but i have a lot of manco wheels. those look like age stress cracks to me, all centered around the bearing. I could be wrong, but after glass beading if they dont go away id say they are cracks

sucks you lost a sale because of it. though. good luck!

All of these lines are raised, when you smooth then out it leaves a mark but it's more of a stain. These are NOT cracks, once bead blasted they will be fine. I just wondered if anyone else has encountered the casting slag or not.

CarPlayLB

I had the same issues on a polished set that I did. Not stress cracks! Casting issues. It almost looks like they did an incomplete pour when casting them. Maybe impurities in the metal when cast?

Exactly, I sandblasted a Manco wheel with the same issue then did one go power and it cleaned up nicely so I know I was right. Time for a better blast media and some new tires and tubes then ride the bike and enjoy the deal I got. $ is fleeting comes and goes but fun and memories last forever.
I had the same issues on a polished set that I did. Not stress cracks! Casting issues. It almost looks like they did an incomplete pour when casting them. Maybe impurities in the metal when cast?

In the event anyone else sees this issue in a set of go-powers don't panic because today I gently sandblasted the manco wheel as a test with great results then did the sprocket side rear wheel half of the go-power at the same pressure and with the same sand. While it did not completely remove all signs on the outer rim the center shows no signs the lines were there. I'm getting glass beads for my cabinet next and will have these bad boys cleaned up nicely and ready for the bike when it's sorted out.