Going rate for fixing others crap?

I have people coming out of the wood work wanting me to fix there crap. I do this as a "hobby" but this is starting to get rediculous. I should be making money doing this stuff on MY FREE TIME but yet i find myself just recouping for the parts needed and actually not collecting a labor rate. Whats the going rate at your local small engine shop? anybody hear fix other peoples crap and what do you usually charge for an hourly rate? rebuilding a carb is one thing.....i have a guy that wants alot more then that. Ive been real nice to alot of people and now im starting to think people are starting to take advatntage of it. Time to strart billing people what my time is worth but within reason. Love to hear from you guys. I have my own projects I cant get to because as of late im constantly have someones machine in my shop. I work fulltime so all this is being done on MY TIME. what do you think your worth?

im with you there! freakin neighbors need to learn to fix their own crap :laugh: well they always pay me more than i ask so its all good. charge whatever you feel is fair and if they dont like it they can go somewhere else and wait 4 months to have a spark plug changed :shrug: im sure whatever you charge will be less than a shop anyhow

zeeman

I just do a little engine and lawnmower work for friends, etc. I usually charge $15 per hour. That's just what I can live with, and I think they will be comfortable with. I charge $6 each to sharpen blades because the local mower places charge that, and are backed up. There's good money in blades at $6 taken off and brought to me.

JamnJM

$65 an hour at my local lawn mower shops, more if you watch, even lots more if they tried to fix it first before bringing it in...... :001_tt2:

Myself.....if I can't make $100 per hour of actually working hard (hardly do.... :wink:) then I don't do it. :grind:

The mower shop in my area charges $68.00 per hour with a minimum charge of $34.00. I usually charge $34.00 per hour for all repairs plus i make some on parts considering I have to track them down and pick them up. I work a full time job and due repairs on my co workers and neighbors lawn equipment after work and on the weekends. They leave the equipment with me for as long as needed and are very happy with my work and prices. They understand I have expenses to pay just like large shops but on a smaller scale.

I don't charge family to fix things.
Other people I quote outta this world prices unless its something cool.

Total restore of a '77 CT-70 thats been parked in a barn since 1980, I estimated $1600~1800 including parts and labor. That's basically parts * 2 for my labor. I didn't really want to do it because I hated the idea of fixing it up only to give it back to her. She has both a sentimental attachment and plenty of money, guess whats next in my workshop...

Oldsalt

My method [actually lack of method]:

Bear in mind that I am retired and have more time than most folks.

Children are exempt: If they need help I really do drop what I'm doing and try to help them. Last week two neighbor children packed in a metal box with a big pad-lock on it. They asked if I could remove it. I asked who the box belonged to...they said their father...so I cut it off. Have not heard any repercussions.

Any emergency: Like for instance, the alternator brackets broke and we are leaving on vacation in the morning.

Family members and inlaws and outlaws: Usually not much choice. But the favors is usually returned at some time even if it is just goodwill and happiness.

Can't get it done anywhere else: That happens in a small town and if you have a well equipped machine shop. A guy drops a drive shaft at the local strip and must have an other one custom made in just a few days....what do ya do? The rule is plane: Ya don't charge for race care stuff if you know the guy. Honey will catch more flies than vinegar [An old Armenian adage].

If they are willing to do all the work themselves: A guy just finished a custom set of springer forks for his bicycle. He was able to do all the operations and supplied his material and he is a computer whiz...that means i never have to pay for computer work.

There are some things I would not do for anyone:
Any car that is not at least 40 years old I will not stand near let alone work on. And then ONLY if it can't be done at a regular shop.
I profess absolutely no knowledge of electronic things.
I will not work on any carburetor. Big or small...no dice.

All in all I feel that I've came out ahead in the long run. But only because i am able to look someone in the eye and say NO because I'm busy with my own project or I am not sure I can do a correct job of what they want. There is NOTHING wrong with saying that you "Don't like to work on XXXXX". That is a very valid reason for not accepting a job be it a freebee or a paying job.

I just take forever to fix it and they stop asking so much. :thumbsup:
Best Answer!

Everybody has different skills. If people help each other, things get done and everybody is happy. In reality, people will take and take with either promising a return or they will just start taking it for granted and soon stop showing any appreciation. My neighbor and I exchange skills with each other. He has mechanical skills, I have time :) I'll usually mow part of his lawn (acres) and he promises to give me gas (never has), but that is OK. Just like he straightened the forks and welded the seat plate for me. That took time and skill. It balances out.

When I encounter someone who expects me to do everything for them, Take forever doing it. After few episodes, they will lose faith in you and look for another sap.

Just my outlook,
Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

i would have thought $65 an hour for a shop was low. At our shop we get $95.00 an hour!! But we are a specialty shop. Hey car dealers are getting upwards and over $100 an hour!

In my head..............i shouldnt be doing anything for less then what i make an hour at my day job if not more then that. Of course friends and family dont count...but i have people ive just waved to droping stuf off now!:doah:

MB165

You need to charge people, they will keep coming out of the woodwork if you dont, especially the types you dont need as customers. Its OK to pick and choose the repairs as well. Plus, It does not matter how much the machine costs vs. the repair bill. Its not our fault the customer bought a piece of shit, dont be scared to remind them of that fact. Do quality work, in a timely manner, priced up front.
Local mower shops here in Maryland are minimum $85 per hour and $40 for a deposit to keep the "its worth that in parts, just keep it" people from dumping it on the shop. blades $9-15 depending how large they are. Personally, I charge $50/ hour for side work, with a one hour minimum.

matt2

Just say NO. I know playing with a little engine is like a good drug but just say no. Then go inside and get your fix on your own stuff. If you work to much on someone elses stuff yours will not be so fun to work on. You already work full time, don't work at home. Help your friends out for free you need them to owe you and it won't feel like work.Your brain on your minis:scooter: your brain on someone elses mini :censure::hammer::confused::doah::shrug::no::blink:
Good luck Matt