Governor control arm question - Clinton Engine

I don't think that the lever is bent any more than it should be. Kohler uses basically the exact governor setup and on those that brass nut will come out/off once you remove the governor arm. On the inside, the shaft coming through the brass nut has a flat tab attached at 90 degrees to the shaft to contact with the governor gear but can only be removed from the inside. I would bet that the brass nut is just really worn and that is where you are getting all of the side-up down play and also just has a ridge worn in it not allowing the nut to come out. If it is worn real bad-which it looks like it is-it will slobber oil and the carburetor will act erratic because of all the slop. The shaft end play is really not adjustable but probably has a sleeve around the shaft acting as a spacer and I would bet that is worn as well. You are this far-take it apart and fix it or it will haunt you-unless you don't plan on riding it.

Motra

The position of the governor arm isn't important until the carburetor is mounted and the linkage is installed. Once that's done you need to make a static adjustment to set the governor to the correct position. The in and out play of the shaft is probably a concern. I have the same model Clinton, I'll take a look at it. I also have some old Clinton manuals that might shed some light.

rxpo

ATKRIDER and MOTRA, thanks for the input!

Motra, the shaft has no retainer clip on the inside so it appears the shaft can naturally slide in and out.
If you have a manual that gives an illustration, that would be great!

I will make some comparisons on my other toys with Briggs and Tecumseh engines.

Here is another video of the "Shaft play" as seen inside the engine:
MOV04073.flv video by rxpo_photos - Photobucket