governor explode

I had a 212 that I did a governor bypass on. The engine had maybe 5 minutes of run time on it when I pulled it apart to do the rod and flywheel. I found governor pieces inside the case. Luckily there was no damage done, but it could have been bad.

If you want to remove the governor do it correctly. Fully remove the governor and install a billet rod and a billet flywheel. If you can't afford the parts to correctly mod an engine you shouldn't be doing it.

I don't race, but I make more power and go faster than I need to go, without removing any governors. I don't install carburetors that bypass my governors, either. My engines are reliable, I do not spend hours trying to tune a motorcycle carb, and I do not worry about my flywheels exploding.
If you want to build a race engine, buy another one, put it on the bench and build it the right way. You should not modify part of it, ride a while, then build some more. Someone might get really hurt, or die.

joshua. c.

The governor keeps the motor at a safe rpm, some governors do have a bit of ajustment avalable but increasing beyond this provided limit blows up the motor.

If the governor, which is centrifugal, is left inside the case, but disconnected from the throttle linkage, (by installing a motorcycle carb) then the engine can spin the governor fast enough to sling the weights off of it into the crankcase.
The governor should be removed when installing a motorcycle carb.
Billet rod and flywheel should be installed at that time, also.