Governor Removal on a 5hp Briggs Flathead?

OK.....I'll admit I have never done it and now I have a few 5hp flatty Engines I Want to do it on.

Whats the procedure?

Just get rid of the Wind flapper in the shroud?
Gut it and take the mechanism completely out?

Yes I Know they could blow up. I'll take my chances.

School me........
Thanks

The Briggs 5 has a plastic gear with little weighted wings. Pull the side cover off, remove the plasic gear with weights, pul the arm out of the block and plug the hole with a bolt and Nyloc nut. Or you can cut the arn so there's a little left inside the block and tack a small locking collar on the inside. Then you can use the gov arm as part of your throttle and return set up. Not that I've ever done anything like this or recommend it.:wink:

jimh is right. Make sure you remove it from the inside, (don't just bypass it on the carb). If you leave it inside the engine, it'll fly apart even at a moderate increase in rpms, taking your rod, crank or cam with it.

Motra

There's a nice throttle kit for the Raptor that would make the throttle connection much easier, I'm sure the go kart or jr. dragster sites could set you up with one.

I Did this to a old junker just to see how easy it was.

It Pretty straight forward to do once you get the Side cover off.

I Cut the bent Arm off on the inside and left the linkage on the outside to help with throttle control.

Briggs had 2 different typs of governors. On the air ( or pneumatic ) governor, just remove the connecting wires and hook you throttle cable straight to the throttle butterfly on the carb. Some kind of lever linkage is used to connect the two. On the mechanical governors, a small lever comes out of the crankcase below the carb and is connected to the butterfly. You can route your cable straight to the butterfly as with the air governor, but you need to keep a spring on the mechanical gov arm to keep the internal weights from over extending.

hi i have an old flat head on mine and i just hooked the throttle right up to the carb and it works fine. ive had nothing go wrong and run it at full speed a lot.:scooter