Great deal.... heathkit Hilltopper

Ha...a king/queen seat on a Hilltopper...:laugh:

...but man, if I were closer, I'd buy that thing...Karen could whip up a seat in no time.

I really like those bikes...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey Danford1...you're going to Windber aren't you...?

How about bringing that with you, and let me buy it from you...?....at a profit of course...:laugh:

Seriously though, let me know if that's a possibility...thanks !

Robert

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
it looks like the gas line runs through the fan shroud. Is that how they came or did someone drill holes in it?

Danford1
that is correct. The two i have are the same way.... IF ROBERT DOES NOT GET IT FROM YOU, I PROBABLY WILL IF ITS AT WINDBER.

Last edited:
When I first saw it danford1 had already emailed him .. I don't really need another and I have the VT-7 project taking up my $$ ...

It was just pointed out to me that the ad says NO EMAILS ... jeep4me doesn't miss much!

I texted him also as the ad said not to email him. Of course I already emailed him before I read that...
I drove up there and got it. I brought it home and got it running. It starts, stops, doesn't burn oil and the lights work.
It has a few small issues besides the seat. The throttle cable is junk, governor set real low, the carb drips fuel, the gas tank is probably junk also plus it isn't bolted to the frame. The kickstand it broken and I noticed one of the fold down handle bar jamb screws was sheared off. No doubt there is more wrong but that is what I noticed while I was getting it to run. Not bad at all. Mostly easy minor things except maybe for the gas tank...
I pulled the float bowl and it was very clean inside so I flushed the gas line and gas tank, put a little gas in it and it started in probably 10 pulls.
I took 3 videos. One of it running and showing it doesn't smoke and the lights work.
One showing me riding it and one of the issues it has.

I'm surprised it wasn't already sold when I contacted him. I figured someone local would buy it. He still had it at 11AM when I got there so I took it. I was shocked how heavy this thing is. I had help getting it into my van luckily. Normally I can load minibikes fairly easy, this thing is Heavy! I did some research and it looks like it was 171 lb dry. Also I see these are very rare so parts could be very hard to find. Probably like trying to find parts for a Rupp Black Widow...
The only real concern I have is the gas tank. It was held upside down then coated with probably epoxy. My guess was to seal a leak. The epoxy is flaking off as it is. I'll have to investigate that further if I restore the minibike. It may just remain in survivor condition. Perhaps with a different tank though...
The seat shouldn't be a problem to have made, right Karen ?

I'm really happy with this minibike :) The more I research it the more I like it. From what I found they were made from 1971 till 1974. This one has a serial number of 013180. I don't know how to decipher that to nail down the year however.

It has a nice comphy suspension. All that weight probably helps it to ride good.

I don't know if I'm going to Windber. I'm not registered and don't have any Hotel reservations. Plus I've never been there. I've read about it but I'm getting kinda old to be sleeping on the ground in a tent... Murphy likes me and he can about guarantee it will rain and I'll be camping on a hill to make things worse.

Here are the vids.
[video=vimeo;218687829]https://vimeo.com/218687829[/video]

[video=vimeo;218694591]https://vimeo.com/218694591[/video]

[video=vimeo;218682279]https://vimeo.com/218682279[/video] Some fool held the camera the wrong way for this one...

Danford1

Last edited:
Congratulations Danford1....!

Enjoy your new bike !

And if you decide to let it go, just let me know...thanks.

Regarding Windber...no reservations needed, Jeff likes folks to register ahead of time, but you will be allowed to show up and register. Or, just give Jeff a call. Guaranteed to be the best vacation of your life...!...even if it would rain....:laugh:

Take care.

Robert

Last edited:
Right on danford1 .. I have 2 of those in "survivor" condition, one for myself and one for the wife .. both are street legal and registered as mopeds.
I got back into minis a few years ago, tried the smaller ones we had as kids but these are "adult sized".
We ride ours fairly aggressively and fairly often.

If you like the Hilltopper check out the Healds, also adult sized fun!

Nice score. Looks like part of the original seat is there. Save that seat, not sure i have that pattern. I just had a seat come in for repairs and it might be a hill topper seat, me as to open the box. Lol

Hi Karen, No there isn't any part of the original seat there. I just threw a board on there and some scrap foam from another seat to go for that test ride. I can make the wood portion no problem. You said you liked what I did on the wood portion I sent you for my Sears Puddle Jumper. This one is easier as it is flat. Please PM me a price for the foam and cover if you don't want to list it here.
Thanks.

Danford1

Last edited:
IF I were to sell this, no doubt who ever buys it would want it delivered to Windber.

Is there anyone from south east Michigan going to Windber that could deliver it there in case I can't go? I would pay you a fee of course.
I could deliver it to you in time for you to take it to PA. I'm only an hour from Ohio so delivering it to you somewhere in Ohio could be an option too.

Danford1