Gx200 clone timing after governor removal??

Engine won't start now

So I removed the governor today, made sure the cam dot lined with crank dot upon reassembly.
I made sure the new linkage kit allowed throttle to return normal and it did. I checked spark and it's there.
Fuel tank is full.....

Motor turns easy by hand and sounds normal but just cranks. Could the timing be off ?

Did you verify spark? Is the plug wet after pulling a few times(getting fuel)? My guess is you adjusted the valves on the compression release.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Did you verify spark? Is the plug wet after pulling a few times(getting fuel)? My guess is you adjusted the valves on the compression release.

Yes verified spark, plug is dry after several attempts at starting.
Set the motor to TDC, both valves were loose when adjusting.

Yes verified spark, plug is dry after several attempts at starting.
Set the motor to TDC, both valves were loose when adjusting.
If the plug is dry after several pulls it's clearly getting little to no fuel. Try a little carb cleaner or starting fluid to see if it pops. If so, you know where to start looking.

If the plug is dry after several pulls it's clearly getting little to no fuel. Try a little carb cleaner or starting fluid to see if it pops. If so, you know where to start looking.

Bike ran great before, but I did leave fuel petcock in the off position for awhile. I thought myself the plug would be flooded but I only gave her a few cranks because it's normally a 1 crank motor. I will check the carb bowl and see if there is fuel in there.

If the compression feels low it's most likely too loose. You have a compression release on the cam. When you rotate the engine by hand you can see the valve close and then bump open and shut real quick. If you're on that bump when adjusting that will be too loose.

If the compression feels low it's most likely too loose. You have a compression release on the cam. When you rotate the engine by hand you can see the valve close and then bump open and shut real quick. If you're on that bump when adjusting that will be too loose.

Well I rechecked the lash to make sure, seemed tight so I made sure it was on compression stroke and both valves closed and rockers has small free play. I reset with feeler to .004 , rotated the motor a few times and seemed ok. I removed the air filter to make sure choke was not stuck. I dropped the fuel bowl to make sure petcock was letting fuel in and plenty was.
I left the filter off to test start,I put choke on ...pulled and it started and bogged out 2-3 times. Slowly moving the choke it stayed on. When it ran , it sounded normal and once hot it stayed on.

So I let it cool down and cold start was same , would slowly start and bog a bit and stall.
What causes the cold start issue after the governor removal?

Last edited: