H30 intake manifold, what a joke!!!!!!!1

125ccCrazy

I aquired a cean little H30 but to be on the safe side I pulled it down for a complete inspection.. I pulled the intake and carb off first as I already planned on doing a small Mikuni on it, probably a 20mm... Anyways when I pulled the intake I looked at the port, what a JOKE... It's half the size of the intake port on the engine...

Pics show a comparison of the intake gasket and the intake manifold..

Does anyone make a good rod for these engines?

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

Those are both edger intakes anyway. Get the other kind and BREATH.
I couldn't believe how small the intake i.d was when I pulled it off the engine.... I'll probably make my own intake so I can run a mikuni carb on it.... I was checking out the valves and both are the same size 24mm which is the same as a 6.5 clone exh valve and only 1mm smaller than the 6.5 intake valve..... The intake port on the block has alot of room for improvement on this lil engine.... I'll probably clean up the ports, throw a good carb and exhaust on it.... This should wake it up pretty good...

delray

the older two piece style 3hp drop intake where just as bad:doah:

they did make a better 3hp intake that was little shorter.

custom built intake will work real good for you:thumbsup:
i don't know anybody that makes good rod for your 3hp? if you have to use the stock rod you could always polish the rod beam? that might help little..............:scooter:

I couldn't believe how small the intake i.d was when I pulled it off the engine.... I'll probably make my own intake so I can run a mikuni carb on it.... I was checking out the valves and both are the same size 24mm which is the same as a 6.5 clone exh valve and only 1mm smaller than the 6.5 intake valve..... The intake port on the block has alot of room for improvement on this lil engine.... I'll probably clean up the ports, throw a good carb and exhaust on it.... This should wake it up pretty good...
Yeah I remember laughing when I pulled my first one off. I took the slightly larger one and bored it out at the ends and it worked "OK", haven't tried any of the little diaphragm carbs on a mini bike. .

125ccCrazy

the older two piece style 3hp drop intake where just as bad:doah:
they did make a better 3hp intake that was little shorter.
custom built intake will work real good for you:thumbsup:
i don't know anybody that makes good rod for your 3hp? if you have to use the stock rod you could always polish the rod beam? that might help little..............:scooter:
I am not sure about a better intake, I can't remember what the ones on the Tec engines I had when I was a kid looked like.. I do remember taking a mikuni carb off of a chaparral 90 and putting it on a 3 or 3.5 Tec, that little engine woke up with that..

A custom intake will be on the list for the engine, not sure what I'm going to put the eng on yet, maybe this old mtd frame I have... I just knew I couldn't use the engine without making sure the internals were good plus the stock carb was froze up so in the process of disassembly I seen that intake and just laughed........... Whats the point of it??:eek:ut:

As far as rod, I was just curious if there were any better parts for the lil guys... Looks like the performance parts are for 4hp and bigger engines so I guess I'm limited to some port work, a carb and exhaust...

Yeah I remember laughing when I pulled my first one off. I took the slightly larger one and bored it out at the ends and it worked "OK", haven't tried any of the little diaphragm carbs on a mini bike. .
This intake is so small all the way through match porting wont do any good, the runner looks to be the same i.d as the port,

This intake would be like breathing through a Mc Donalds stir straw LOL

Last edited:
Bigger isnt always better, theres a delicate balance of flow vs velocity. If your planning on using the governor, does it really matter? I am not saying that it isnt too small, just applying some food for thought/disscusion. I would assume most of the parts are designed to function and nothing more, usually leaving huge room for improvements. HP= (torque*rpm)/5252

125ccCrazy

Bigger isnt always better, theres a delicate balance of flow vs velocity. If your planning on using the governor, does it really matter? I am not saying that it isnt too small, just applying some food for thought/disscusion. I would assume most of the parts are designed to function and nothing more, usually leaving huge room for improvements. HP= (torque*rpm)/5252
They probably have such a small intake to keep the rpms down and the torque up on the low end...

This eng won't be needing the govenor, it's getting a straight manifold, better carb and exhaust, a thinner head gasket on it if I can find one for the 3hp..... Thats about it for mods on this lil guy..

in the pic above there is a red tecumseh motor... a h30? i believe but i have one to it will idle but when i give it full throttle its goes for about 5 secs then boggs out.. it does this with the choke on too... any suggestions?:confused:

125ccCrazy

in the pic above there is a red tecumseh motor... a h30? i believe but i have one to it will idle but when i give it full throttle its goes for about 5 secs then boggs out.. it does this with the choke on too... any suggestions?:confused:
I'd start with pulling the carb apart, soaking it carb dip and putting a rebuild kit in it....

try screwing the far bottom screw in.. the main fuel jet.. It sounds like it's flooding out..

i found out what it was.. the float was full of gas.. there was a tiny hahahahahair crack in it. jb weld should do the trick
No.... FCK all that... just get another float... :thumbsup: Any Tecumseh/Lauson 1.5-12 horse is the same float.. 1951-2012.. :shrug: Any scrapyard near you has about 85 at any time of day in every primer bulb 3.5 horse vertical shaft lawn mower engine they have in the aluminum MOUNTAIN!!! .... And will sell it for 0.0 pounds of yellow brass.. :shrug: I will GIVE YOU a perfect one for free.. you pay the shipping... 1.00 should work... :shrug:

125ccCrazy

i found out what it was.. the float was full of gas.. there was a tiny hahahahahair crack in it. jb weld should do the trick
listen to Restore Kid...JB weld is not designed to be submerged in gasoline continuously....Unless you don't want to spend a $1 on shipping for a free float, solder the crack....Personally I'd spend the $1..

well i actually borrowed a buddies float:thumbsup: but im still deciden on what motor i wanna put in it. im not satisfied with the tiny three horse. any suggestions?

I thought the exact thing when I came across one of those intakes. More suction.