h50 no spark

I fired it up yesterday no problems and let it run for a bit. Today I put the rest of the bike together to take her for the maiden and now the damn thing won't fire. I took out the plug and pulled the recoil and there's no spark.
Went and bought another spark plug still no spark. I'm going to take off the flywheel to see if the key is sheared right now but I just wanted to see if someone had any ideas.
Thanks
Mike

Did it kick back when ya shut it down?
Weird, for sho!
No not at all. I just took the shroud off. Key is okay. Solid state (not condenser) was the right distance. Re-torqued the flywheel nut and put the shroud back on and we have spark. But now it won't start. Haha. Flutters a bit but it's not barking at all. :doah:

Have you got a kill wire off the coil that is possibly shorting out?

Vic
I actually didn't even have a kill switch on this motor just that little metal tab that touches the spark plug. When I took the shroud off I put a brand new kill switch on. If the kill switch wire is touching the spark plug wire would that matter?

Thanks
Mike

Took off the kill switch all together. Still nothing. Here's a pic of the ignition module. Is that space between the two laminated strips on the bottom a problem?
Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
I'd say the coil got fried when you touched the kill wire to the spark plug - kill wires are meant to be grounded at anywhere on the motor besides there.
As soon as the north pole passes the first leg of the coil it passes low voltage AC current then the current passes through a rectifier that converts it to DC current and then goes to the compacitor for storage then when the flywheel rotates 180 degrees it passes the trigger coil that produces a very small current to that coil then the charge passes through a resistor and turns on a silicone controlled rectifier (solid state switch) closed the low voltage stored in the capacitor then travels to the pulse transformer. Then the voltage is brought up to maximum fire power instantaneously and it is discharged across the electrode at the spark plug. Some units are equipped with a advance and retard that are used by a second trigger coil and resistor. Do not attempt to crank the engine with the primary wire of the transformer disconected. if this unit uses a gold flywheel keyway make sure the large end points towards the motor...

Threw a Rod

Bummer! I was hoping that didn't happen. Another coil is around $40 which normally wouldn't be too bad but I've dumped so much money into this thing. Bought four cranks at $30+ a pop, several gaskets,

Apparently this specific motor used a crank with a different size journal then some of the other h50 motors. Pain in the butt this thing. Pretty sure it's going up for sale if I don't throw it into oncoming traffic. :eek:ut: