Half decent score at the flea market.

So this past saturday I went to the flea market by my house. One of the guys there had this.

I didn't know what it was at the time but I knew I had to have it. He wanted $375 for it. I nit picked the bike untill he came down to $250. I just happened to have $200 in my pocket. He took it and I now own a Trailsport Buffalo.
It runs great, but it doesn't like soft sand. On soft sand I try to open her up but after I hit full throttle for about 10-15 secs the carb floods. Does fine full throttle on the street though. It also needs a new back tire, a new seat, new handle grips, new handle for the pull cord, and some sanding and paint. I'm happy with it.

I'm just bummed about the carb flooding in soft sand, but from what I've read The carbs on tecumseh engines aren't the best.

I'm gonna order a new one and see if it helps any.

jeep4me

Does the carb actuality flood? Gas dripping out? Or does the engine bog down and stall out? If it's the later, check the compression. It could be low and when the motor needs more power in the soft sand, it's just not there.

Does the carb actuality flood? Gas dripping out? Or does the engine bog down and stall out? If it's the later, check the compression. It could be low and when the motor needs more power in the soft sand, it's just not there.
I didn't notice any gas coming out while riding it, but I did notice gas coming out when I went to load the bike back in the truck. It did fine on the hard packed sand, and I could get around at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle in the soft stuff. Could it be both compression and flooding?:confused: Yesterday after scoting around the neighborhood I also noticed it surges while idleing. I'm not a small engine guy, so I have no clue about this stuff.

Last edited:

jeep4me

I didn't notice any gas coming out while riding it, but I did notice gas coming out when I went to load the bike back in the truck. It did fine on the hard packed sand, and I could get around at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle in the soft stuff. Could it be both compression and flooding?:confused: Yesterday after scoting around the neighborhood I also noticed it surges while idleing. I'm not a small engine guy, so I hvea no clue about this stuff.
Sounds like the carb needs cleaning, really good cleaning in a soak type solution. Definitely check the compression. It should be 90lbs +. It'll run on 40lbs but once you put a load on it, nothing.
If soaking the carb doesn't help, a new carb might be in order. That will also help with your surging issues. Surging is a carb related problem.

Sounds like the carb needs cleaning, really good cleaning in a soak type solution. Definitely check the compression. It should be 90lbs +. It'll run on 40lbs but once you put a load on it, nothing.
If soaking the carb doesn't help, a new carb might be in order. That will also help with your surging issues. Surging is a carb related problem.
Sweet, There is a small engine repair shop around the corner from my house. I'd love to have the time to clean it, but between work and school I just ain't got it. I'll probably take the carb to them to have them clean it.
Thanks Jeep!

jeep4me

Sweet, There is a small engine repair shop around the corner from my house. I'd love to have the time to clean it, but between work and school I just ain't got it. I'll probably take the carb to them to have them clean it.
Thanks Jeep!
No problem. Hope it works out for you. If you do get a new carb, buy one that is adjustable. The one on your engine most likely is not.

65ShelbyClone

Surging idle can sometimes be due to an air leak. Flooding is almost always caused by a stuck float or leaking float valve. I've seen a fair number of perforated brass Tecumseh floats, too.

You're prepared to buy a whole new carb, so what have you got to lose by trying to fix the old one yourself? :thumbsup: They're not very complicated.

I seem to recall that the only difference between the OHH50, 55, 60, and 65 engines is carburetor size. Might be an option to get an OHH65 carb for the extra 1/2hp.

y
Surging idle can sometimes be due to an air leak. Flooding is almost always caused by a stuck float or leaking float valve. I've seen a fair number of perforated brass Tecumseh floats, too.
I got out of class a bit early today, so I went and got a can of carb cleaner. I just did a quick clean of the bowl nut(and yes, I cleaned the tiny whole next to the threads :wink: ), but when I sprayed inside if the emulsion tube I noticed carb cleaner coming out around the throttle shaft. Also once I got it back together, I cranked it up and sprayed carb cleaner around the throttle shaft and it reved up. So I figured it might be that.

You're prepared to buy a whole new carb, so what have you got to lose by trying to fix the old one yourself? They're not very complicated.
Yea, I just looked up a diagram for one. Not as complicated as I thought. I'll just order a rebuild kit.

I seem to recall that the only difference between the OHH50, 55, 60, and 65 engines is carburetor size. Might be an option to get an OHH65 carb for the extra 1/2hp.
Not a bad thing to remember.

Last edited:
the rebuild kit probably wont have the brass bushing if there even is a brass bushing for the throttle shaft. Its probably just housing and shaft amd there is a lot of wear allowing the leak..... if its sucking air there, probably best to get a whole new carb that is sealed tight so to speak.

65ShelbyClone

There could also be a missing felt washer that went between the carb body and throttle shaft flange. I've seen some carbs with and some without it. :shrug: I think Tecumseh put it there to keep dirt and, to a lesser extent, air from getting pulled through the clearance there.

I would PM member "the restore kid" and tell him what motor you have and he will hook you up with a good used adjustable carb :thumbsup: That's what I did for my OHV60 he set it all up and I didn't even need to adjust it just bolt and go :thumbsup:

I would PM member "the restore kid" and tell him what motor you have and he will hook you up with a good used adjustable carb :thumbsup: That's what I did for my OHV60 he set it all up and I didn't even need to adjust it just bolt and go :thumbsup:
I just tried to pm the restore kid, but his inbox is full.

@ shelby: it has a felt washer.

Would any of you guys know the model number of the carb with the choke that fits on the ohh60? I asked in another thread, but no one has answered as of yet.