Harbor Freight Predator 212cc Quetions (Quad Project)

I am very new to these engines & has been about 2 years since I have bothered to mess around with small horizontal engines. Although I have not gone complete engine retard, I have stumbled upon some issues that I think may cause issues and just want some things clarified.

Summary:
I'm "re-building" a chinese quad that after many years has failed multiple times and thought screw it, this engine at HF is $99 and 212cc 6.5hp... Let's get it...

My Problems:
  1. I am going to re-use the gas tank installed in the atv that is going to be above the engine. It worries me though because the gas tank on the predator has a line going to the top of the tank and I do not know what it's for. I'm not sure if there is a fuel pump assembly involved or what but I want to get that solved... Would I be able to just connect the gas line from my old gas tank to the carb and leave it at that?

The Strange Line I'm Talking About...

What are these lines doing?

The Gas Line

2. I am also worried that if I place an air filter kit/adapter on that I would have to do something to the carburetor?
    Something such as this: Air filter Adapter, Aluminum, Clone
    I heard about re-jetting the carburetor, how would I go about doing that?

I am so sorry for being the new guy on the forums asking newby questions, but I don't want to go and screw myself over with a brand new engine (if you can understand).

old-timer

Scamming Member
Yes you can just run the line from your existing tank to the carb on the Predator. That line your referring to on the tank is a vent line to vent the predator gas tank.

If your going with a high volume air filter kit you will more than likely need to re-jet the carb. You can buy the jets from OldMiniBikes Warehouse or many other on line sales. Very easy to change :thumbsup: There are threads in the clone engine section here.Honda / Clone / Predator Engines - OldMiniBikes.com Forum

Scroll down and there are all kinds of threads on re-jetting. Somewhere in there, there is also a video showing you how to do it. Also a few videos on youtube showing how.

Hope this helps you some :thumbsup:

Vic

Yes you can just run the line from your existing tank to the carb on the Predator. That line your referring to on the tank is a vent line to vent the predator gas tank.

If your going with a high volume air filter kit you will more than likely need to re-jet the carb. You can buy the jets from OldMiniBikes Warehouse or many other on line sales. Very easy to change :thumbsup: There are threads in the clone engine section here.Honda / Clone / Predator Engines - OldMiniBikes.com Forum

Scroll down and there are all kinds of threads on re-jetting. Somewhere in there, there is also a video showing you how to do it. Also a few videos on youtube showing how.

Hope this helps you some :thumbsup:

Vic
Hey, thank you very much. You don't understand how confused I was by this. I was sitting there thinking I just got myself into a huge massive mess... Also, is it possible to get an air filter kit such as this and not require to jet my carb? I mean the air intake does not look very large at all on this Air filter Adapter, Aluminum, Clone
(Of course I will be putting a filter on it, not letting it sit open)

old-timer

Scamming Member
You can just leave the breather tube :thumbsup: You may get away without having to re-jet, but most everyone winds up having to. It's not hard to do at all trust me :wink:

Vic

You can just leave the breather tube :thumbsup: You may get away without having to re-jet, but most everyone winds up having to. It's not hard to do at all trust me :wink:

Vic
I think I'll just get the $15 kit and while I'm at it get the upgraded air filter kit for $38 (if I remember right). I'll leave the breather open, last engine I did and had no troubles but eventually I'll get it just for looks.

what clutch are you going to run? i looked into do this for a fun project, but i had trouble finding a clutch that would not burn up (that was also affordable). with the larger size tires, the rpm would be a lot lower than my go kart. i think i need at least 2000 rpm (maybe 2100) to get the clutch to engage fully. i went to AGK's website and did the speed calculator. It was going to be a lot faster than what i think will be safe for my boys (until they're quite a bit older). are you planning on running a torque converter? i was just going to run a cheap clutch because i wanted to make it as inexpensive as possible. the quad i was going to use was going to be the 110 cc model. i thought the motor would be a lot of fun, and the pull start means that the battery woes and electrical problems would be gone as well. let me know what you find out!

I have done this project useing an eton 50. With the size of the wheels you will burn up a clutch very shortly. What I did was flip the swing arm to put the sprocket on the left side then have the sprocket carrier drilled for a larger sprocket from Northern Tool. You will have to bite the bullet and purchase a TAV unit. You will have to fab an exhaust and reroute some cables but you will be surprised at the results. I even reversed the wheels for more stability. After removing the govenor and a few other things:wink: I believe it ran about 35-40 beside my Grizzly atv.