Harbor Freight Predator engines

I picked up a 212cc Predator engine for my Boonie. Do these have a governor? At wot, it kinda shuts off and turns on? Btw, I am a noob to mini's, but not to race cars, jeeps, etc....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

So that's what they will replace my blue clone with when it dies, sounds like they still surge.
You need to adjust the throttle stop till it stops then it wont surge.:thumbsup:

You would think that it would be good to go stock out of the box. It's not like I piped it or put an air filter on it. $179..... Ouch.

@supernova, the throttle stop screw out of the box only let the throttle open a little over half way. It sounded like a generator on slightly high idle this way. Letting the throttle stop screw out let it rev higher. Am I missing something?
It rips pretty good the way it is, except that the engine cuts out for about a second intermittently. The engine also comes back alive in strange spots when rolling back on the throttle after coasting at 30 mph or so.

Will the parts for the new 212cc Predator engines interchange with the GX200s? The blue clones and genuine Honda GX200s are 196cc...

@supernova, the throttle stop screw out of the box only let the throttle open a little over half way. It sounded like a generator on slightly high idle this way. Letting the throttle stop screw out let it rev higher. Am I missing something?
It rips pretty good the way it is, except that the engine cuts out for about a second intermittently. The engine also comes back alive in strange spots when rolling back on the throttle after coasting at 30 mph or so.

Im trying to fix this problem right now too. All moving the limiter screw did was limit how fast I can climb to top rpm. But when ever I get to the top rpm I surge in and out. I have to clones on yellow DBs setup almost identical right now, and the one get as fast as the other and then surges while the other just screams with no surge. I cant figure it out. Im thinkin I need to rejet the idlejet. Anyone have suggestions? Im not privy on drilling it out. And I have no clue what size the stock jets are.

Im trying to fix this problem right now too. All moving the limiter screw did was limit how fast I can climb to top rpm. But when ever I get to the top rpm I surge in and out. I have to clones on yellow DBs setup almost identical right now, and the one get as fast as the other and then surges while the other just screams with no surge. I cant figure it out. Im thinkin I need to rejet the idlejet. Anyone have suggestions? Im not privy on drilling it out. And I have no clue what size the stock jets are.
Do you have a propane torch?

Feed it some gas and see if the surge goes away.

I bet your lean......

Propane torch....you mean feed it some unburned propane with the filter top off at wot? I could prolly rig up some tubing and hold the torch while i'm driving. I don't want to be going 40 mph with one hand, holding a torch under my leg. Lol

Its a hack way of doing it but ya a little sniff of profane would tell you right off if your lean....

If you set your pants on fire do not blame me....

I was thinking more like you may try that with a brake torque or load the engine against say a block wall.

When it starts to surge, put your choke on a little and see if it gets better, I can almost guarantee its lean...most any carbed engine sold here is very lean because of emissions standards. If you have a nice big drill set, like a numbered one, you can most likely drill the main jet out a little at a time untill it goes away. Plus that doesnt cost anything but time :thumbsup:

i went to HF for the 1st time today and forgot they sold engines:doah:, ya im a dumb shat sometimes. i wish i had more $$$ to spend but with my 2 coupons i got a $3 multi meter(since i lost my FLUKE:censure:) and a digital cliper. my highjacking is done, sorry.

ErokOOO,
I have the same situation (surging at "full boogie") with a relatively new (stock) HF 6.5 clone. It starts and idles great, and actually runs quite well until you are at full throttle and try to maintain that speed/rpm, when it will begin to surge in and out. It will stop doing that when you back off on the throttle a bit. We will soon be upgrading the exhaust/header, air filter, and jet, and I am hoping that will cure the condition. Does that also sound like a lean condition to you guys?