hard starting 16?

i just picked up a old lawn mower for free and it has a 658cc 16hp twin cyclinder B&S on it. i got it home washed it off etc and put a battery on it cleaned the plugs and put gas in it.. i got it to turn over but it dosent turn over quick enough its like cough cough then it turns over... its not the battery cause i had the battery on a charger.. the motor is a shaft drive here it is... any ideas on why it turns over hard and will not run?. i threw some tranny oil in the cyclinders to maybe free up somthing if its locked up or somthin it is getting gas and spark to.. it just dosent turn over quicke enough to fire.

View attachment 20671

View attachment 20672

Last edited:
how can you tell if the starter is pulling to much power? it turns it over but it really kills the battery and it dosent turn over quick enough to start it

old mowers are good for having bad ground wires. i had to make up some for my dads 1996cub cadet turns over great now. pull the carb and clean it very well if you have som jet drills clean out the jets and all holes.

well i dont think it has bad ground it gets spark and turns over but somthing is drawing to much power or somthing an not giving the motor enough juice to spin over.... i might go with a starter first then go from there.... and yea i thought about it on a mini bike... lol belive me but the only reason i got it is cause my grandma needs a lawn mower and thought this would be a quick fixer upper and grass cutter.

not to long it was on the charger cause it wouldnt turn the motor over... but what i did is take the 2 wires i was trying to start it with off and i just jumped the soilinod over with 2 screw drivers and it turns over easyer but is still kinda tough... it needs a solinod battery and new wires and terminals.. that should help alot and a new ground for the battery..belive it or not this lawn mower is shaft drive 6 speed with high and low... its almost like a mini truck and it has independent front suspention! lol

well you are on the wright track check the wires and that but if it still acts up . kill the coil and pull the plugs and see if it will spin up then if it still acts up look at the starter . i had one same thing would not turn for nothing even with 36 volts to the starter:scared::scared: i was drawing a arc like a welder and it still would not turn . new starter and wow it spun like a fan on high

125ccCrazy

after you check all the elect connections like mentioned above if it still is sluggish turning over try jumping it with a car battery....the battery may just be weak and is not taking a charge very well.... A quick check if it's the pos or neg battery cable would be to clamp a jumper cable to the battery, say starting with the neg side, clamp the other end to a good ground on the engine and try it...if it still is sluggish take that off and do the same on the pos side only clamp the other end to the pos terminal (stud) on the starter...Becasreful on the pos side, you don't want to arc the cable against any metal on the engine... I have done this test several times over the years trying to figure out why a car was not turning over...

well i got it running.. it runs really good i got a carb kit for it and it fired right up..now if i can just figure out why its not engaging and cutting grass :shrug: