hard starting 3 1/2HP

Hello again I have gotten my 1959 3 1/2 briggs running good. It will sit there and idle until it runs out of gas, but it doesn't like to start with out some type of prime. I have to give it a shot a starting fluid (i know, I know) to get it to catch. I am not sure what I can do to make it start easier. I am choking it and that doesn't help either. Thanks for the help

Oh and how much oil should I have in it?

well the oil you just fill it till its to the top of the threads and its good to go .
as for the starting needs a carb job . would be my guess post a pic of the carb an i can see if i an find you a kit for it :thumbsup:

Could be low compresion also.. ESPESIALLY in an engine that old... Is it the updraft bowl carb? Those can be kinda tricky some times.. But if it a;; works right.. one or two pulls with the choke fully on SHOULD bring it right to life..

Here is a pic of the carb. The compression is there but not real strong. The puller doesn't always catch either which drives me nuts. But it is an old engine so what can you expect. I think I may have put too much oil in it, it is up to the bottom of the filler hole. I though it was a litle much but I didn't know ans I didn't want to run it with out oil. What oil is recomended for these engines? Thanks!

Just regular old 30 weight.. It will hold as much as it likes.. Any extra will pour out when you take the filler plug out, or get the engine spinning any kind of RPM's...

A spark plug might help ya some too.. But %95 chance is just the fact the valves need adjusted and stuff because the poor thing is 50 some years old.. And it happens.. :laugh:

The starter not catching is the ball bearings in the starter sprag clutch being dirty.. If ya do a search, it's been explained before how to fix that...

oldfatguy

the low compression could be your problem, it might be worth taking the head off and cleaning the carbon off the valves and valve seats. The starter not catching if from having oil or grease on the ball bearings inside the starter ratchet housing, you can try spraying it out with wd 40. Or take it apart and wipe all the parts clean. These up draft carbs work good, it should be taken apart and cleaned out. The biggest problem that I have with them is dirt getting stuck in the float needle causing the carb to over flow and leak gas.This will make it hard to start, If you see gas leaking out of the bottom of the carb under the choke lever just shut the fuel valve under the tank until it starts up. A slight leak in the needle seat won't effect any thing while it's running.Also, they like to have the throttle open partway to make them easier to start, if you think it's flooded open the throttle and choke all the way and give it a few pulls to clear it out.

toro power handle pictures by oldfatguy - Photobucket
here are some photos of my collection of 1959 briggs engines, I have one with the rare electric starter

Last edited:
Hard Start

If you have poor or low compression the air/fuel mixture will have a hard time igniting especially in a cold engine.

To improve compression I suggest:

1) Replacing the head gasket, cleaning carbon deposits from head and valves while the head is off. If you can, lap the valves at the same time.
2) Check for ring wear and replace with oversized rings if necessary.
3) Replacing the crankcase gasket and seals could also improve compression.

Double check that the Armature air gap is 0.010". A litttle trick- you can use the cover of a B&S repair manual in place of a feeler gauge to set the gap.

Double check that the spark plug gap is set to 0.030".

She may be old but there is no reason for her to hard start if everything is in good condition.

P.S. You cannot adjust the valves on a "L" Head engine (that is what you have) as an earlier reply suggested.

Mountain, I have a carb similar (same style) on my 1953 Briggs 6hp, mine runs good but can be hard starting too. My best advice is to update to a newer carb, as soon as I finish my mini-bike rebuild, I will make a manifold and put a carb off either a honda three-wheeler (200cc) or from a kohler on it. If you look at supernova's thread (in this same category) it shows you how to adapt a carb (from the db30 97cc engine) to a 3hp briggs (I think his engine is either the same or close to yours). Good luck with you 3 horse. :thumbsup: