Hard Starting HS50

I just rebuilt the carbs on two Heald VT5s so I could take them to the Tri- state get together here in Michigan. One starts on the first pull The other dosn't start without starting fluid unless it is warm. I set the points, timing, and carb according to the book specs. and installed a new CJ8 plug. Anybody got any thoughts? At 70 years old, my shoulder can't take much pulling on the starter rope. Never thought I'd get to this point. Don't want to have to hire some one to start my minibike. Thanks.

Sounds like you hit the main stuff to check. How is the compression? Does the spark look good comparing to the other engine? The engine could be due for a rebuild, leaking rings or bad valve job. If is starts much better warmed up, thats a clue to me that the engine is worn and needs at least a ring and valve job.

do a compression check . how i would do it is , take the shroud off so you can get to the fly wheel and with the coil wire grounded, you dont want it to fire .spin the fly wheel to the comp stroke the give it a flick if the flywheel rebounds sharply you have good compression . if no then put a small amount of motor oil in the cylinder , like half a cap full off the oil bottle and with the plug out spin the motor over slowly . you want enough oil to coat the cylinder well in oil . put the plug back in and do the spin test if the flywheel rebounds sharply now you have bad rings if its the same as before look at your valves , or the head gasket.