Harley X90 cleaning aluminum rims

In the post from X90-rider cleaning the aluminum rims has one of the hardest tasks. What did you use to clean and polish the rims? Did you take them apart, split rims and clean them separate? Do you have to do anything special to bolt them back together?

Thank You

The rims are stamped steel with zinc plating. The hub and brake backer are aluminum. Everything comes apart by removing all of the nuts from the studs. Post a few photos of your parts if you need some input. :thumbsup:

I am not sure if X90 will agree with me or not---but when I cleaned mine I found some aluminum cleaner in a bottle that really did wonders for me. I used that on the dust covers for front and back dust cover parts. I am pretty sure that X90 actually bead blasted these parts that I am talking about. Also, on the rims, I took them apart, had them sandblasted and then zinc plated---but if yours are fairly clean you maybe wouldn't have to do that. The brake hubs I polished to a nice shine.

If you look at my project logs you will see how mine turned out--a lot of work but they look pretty good. Of course I don't think mine compare at all to the job X90 does.

I polished the dust cover that has the brake lever attached. The brake drum side was bead blasted and then clear coated. I redid the steel rims as Jeff described, bead blast and had them replated. :thumbsup: