header pipe question

How long does it have to be before needing a brace? Or do you just know from experience that one is short enough...
If in doubt, brace it. The pipe in the link, I "would" brace. It is such a simple task to accomplish, much, much simpler than running a metric helicoil into your head where the vibrating pipe screwed up the aluminum threads. The pipe isn't going to crack.

Unless it's a Predator, then you just toss it in the trash can instead of heli-coiling it.

Valocalrep

My question since i was just looking up this topic is it best to brace it off the frame with a solid brace or of the engine so it moves with the engine

Never brace off of the frame as the engine and frame will move/flex independently and at different rates= good way to DAMAGE something. ALWAYS off of the engine.
Michael

Valocalrep

Michael thank you very much thats great to hear so now i gotta change my plan, Any certain bolts good to brace off on a predator engine?

on a flat head i would say always brace a header !!! on an ohv i have run much larger headers than that and never had an issue :thumbsup:
I wasn't trying to tie any knots up here. More support is always better in my book, so my comment was "why not," since it is such an easy thing to do. Just because a couple of you have "never" braced these doesn't make it a bad idea. If I ever used on OHV engine I'd brace it. More of a common sense thing with me.

I wasn't trying to tie any knots up here. More support is always better in my book, so my comment was "why not," since it is such an easy thing to do. Just because a couple of you have "never" braced these doesn't make it a bad idea. If I ever used on OHV engine I'd brace it. More of a common sense thing with me.
that post wasnt aimed at you dave !!!! i actually agree if there is a question brace it :thumbsup: just saying i usually dont

that post wasnt aimed at you dave !!!! i actually agree if there is a question brace it :thumbsup: just saying i usually dont
No problem. The Raptor I am currently working on is braced all over the place, from the exhaust valve boss to the tank bottom to the carb top, including a header brace with no muffler on the end. I'm in brace-it mode. Anyone who builds engines knows that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

For the new guy, a metric heli-coil kit is "sticker shock."

Twid

Okay this is what I'm doing.
No brace on my clone.
The brace on my raptor goes to the top of the head plus the two welded from the flang to the mid of the pipe.
Blockzilla yet to fab one up but I used some blue tape to give you an idea.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I use the lower hole on the head to brace my clone pipes not a great pic but you can see brace under the beginning of the exhaust. On a heavy pipe/long pipe you need a brace.