Heath-kit drag bike

Well i found me a $30 mini bike on craigslist today. I'm pretty excited, i liked the doodlebug style bike but thought they were a little small for my cause. Today i did my daily minibike check on CL and there it was! a doodlebug on roids! the guy said it had been sitting on a shelf in his barn for nearly 15 years.
it came with the head light and original seat. its pretty rough but i will fix it up right. i already have my 6.5 clone, so i'm on my way, I'll keep updates coming as i progress.I will get on it good after the holidays. lou

You could stretch it some by cutting off the back half and flipping it over and re-welding. I saw someone else on here did that and it looked good and served a purpose.

Sweet buy, I love the big frames.

PS if you decide not to use that jackshaft setup, let me know, I might be interested in purchasing it for a super bronc project I have:thumbsup:

it sure is funny! i feel like i've been busted! i think its gonna be alot of fun building a bike, what do you have in the works?
lewis birkhead

KB2ROCKET

I turned my boonie bike into something completely different but I didn't drill any holes in it cut it or grind on it in any way
Please do not cut up your heathkit they just don't make um like that any more

Did someone say Air Cooled VW Bug & Porsche Racing go well with Mini Bikes. I am in with my 1961 Bug and my 1961 365 Porsche not to mention my Minis listed below.

Ratbike

Well i found me a $30 mini bike on craigslist today. I'm pretty excited, i liked the doodlebug style bike but thought they were a little small for my cause. Today i did my daily minibike check on CL and there it was! a doodlebug on roids! the guy said it had been sitting on a shelf in his barn for nearly 15 years.
it came with the head light and original seat. its pretty rough but i will fix it up right. i already have my 6.5 clone, so i'm on my way, I'll keep updates coming as i progress.I will get on it good after the holidays. lou

Those are a nice start for a build, large back tire, jackshaft, etc...:thumbsup:

Thanks, i am tryin to figure out if i should go with the jackshaft or get a jr drag clutch and tensioner. The bearings are a little tight but i havent really messed with them yet. What do yall think?
Ps. I have a 1963 vw bug with a 2276 cc turbo motor.
Thanks

Ratbike

Better go with the jackshaft ...read my thread "Rattin this one out" Under Project logs.Had some gearing issues there as well. I have the gear ratios there with the 21" tire as well:shrug: Plus you already have the shaft and mount:shrug:

Last edited:

Ratbike

Thanks, i am tryin to figure out if i should go with the jackshaft or get a jr drag clutch and tensioner. The bearings are a little tight but i havent really messed with them yet. What do yall think?
Thanks
Clutch won't matter if the gearing isn't right:shrug: Just my opinion. I've always used the regular( "stock" ) clutches myself:shrug:They seem to work great even on mychopper with 22" rear tire.Note the jackshaft.

Last edited:
Thanks
Lou, The rules says single cylinder engine!!!!:eek:ut: LOL!!!!

Last edited: