Heathkit Boonie project

Just about completed my first mini project. Couldn't pass up the design of this bike. Took it for a test run and wasn't dissapointed! Now I just have to figure out the brake system I need to install. I'm trying to figure out disc brakes both front and back. Anyone have any pointers?

Brooklyn Bob

Those boonie's are nice bikes. My son is still running the original drum brake on his. Doesn't stop as quick as he would like but it gets the job done.

toomanytoys

Not bad! They are nice riders for adults who still want to ride minis :lol:

I think I look like a bear on a unicycle riding a few of my bikes. But its so much fun!

Thanks Brooklyn Bob. I did have the drum brake on there but it was worthless. Im a machinist by trade so I will be trying to machine some hubs for the rims to accept discs. My idea is to put hydraulic brakes on. More pictures to follow.

Last edited:
@Stangrcr1.....If only the rest of these guys on here knew. :laugh:
There are quite a few machinests on this site, including a guy doing a half scale mini bike, engine and all. Just saying.

I guess I'm the only non-machinest who has great luck with drum brakes. :laugh: But then I anticipate my stops about 500 meters out.

Disc brake project

I got some pictures of the new brake system I'm installing on the front hub. That disc is off a pocket bike. 120mm. The brake is off a stand up gas scooter and works quite well if set up correctly. I machined the hub extension to fit over the old hub but replaced the bearing first. Now I just have to paint everything.

Last edited:
There are quite a few machinests on this site, including a guy doing a half scale mini bike, engine and all. Just saying.

I guess I'm the only non-machinest who has great luck with drum brakes. :laugh: But then I anticipate my stops about 500 meters out.
Dave, I give "Shooter" :laugh: a hard time because we work in the same shop.

I was there when he bought the Heathkit roller. I bought my Trailhorse frame and Super Bronc roller at the same time. Kind of blame myself for giving him another hobby. :facepalm:

BTW, "Shooter" :laugh: , how much of the pad is grabbing the disc? Looks like the caliper should be a little closer to the axle centerline for the whole pad to grab the disc.

Dave, I give "Shooter" :laugh: a hard time because we work in the same shop.

I was there when he bought the Heathkit roller. I bought my Trailhorse frame and Super Bronc roller at the same time. Kind of blame myself for giving him another hobby. :facepalm:

BTW, "Shooter" :laugh: , how much of the pad is grabbing the disc? Looks like the caliper should be a little closer to the axle centerline for the whole pad to grab the disc.
@Stangrcr1- I have 3/4 of the pads touching because the disc bolts hit the caliper. I took it for a spin about 20 min ago and she stops real nice. Now for the rear.