Help identifying my Super Bronc. Is it a 1975 VT-10 or a VT-8?

I bought this vintage Heald Super Bronc a few weeks ago and I need to see what’s going on with the motor. The seller told me he was riding it and heard a pop sound and cut it off. Not sure what he meant because he claims he’s not mechanical inclined. He also claimed it was a VT-10 from 1975. After doing some looking on the bike and motor and a old sticker that came with it… it says VT-8 on the sticker. The engraving on top of the engine cover says HM80. Not sure if the shroud cover and sticker are original or have been changed at some point.

Attachments

cfh

it sure screams vt10 super bronc. technically a "super bronc" is a vt10. all the options point to vt10. that price is killer good not matter what though! it's a "who cares" moment...

I have seen factory VT-10-40's with an 8HP, and seen factory VT-8's with a 10HP on it. That bike has the thinner engine plate and no top brace so it leads me to believe it started out as a VT-8. HM80= 8HP. That chrome blower housing is nice!!
Here's a "few" of the bikes on our local crew, we try to do a ride about twice a year. Many are all original survivors and there are a vast amount of differences between them all.
KIMG0004.JPG

The original engine would be the only way to tell for sure if VT-8 or 10 and year of bike. They came in 8 or 10hp and the front brake is an older style like in the mid 70s.
Thanks for the info. I’m assuming this is the original engine that came on the bike. The front brake looks like a regular drum brake found on most minis

it sure screams vt10 super bronc. technically a "super bronc" is a vt10. all the options point to vt10. that price is killer good not matter what though! it's a "who cares" moment...
I actually negotiated him down to $850 after learning about the engine not running

I have seen factory VT-10-40's with an 8HP, and seen factory VT-8's with a 10HP on it. That bike has the thinner engine plate and no top brace so it leads me to believe it started out as a VT-8. HM80= 8HP. That chrome blower housing is nice!!
Here's a "few" of the bikes on our local crew, we try to do a ride about twice a year. Many are all original survivors and there are a vast amount of differences between them all.
View attachment 296241
Nice lineup. Would be cool to ride with you all

chrisr

Thanks for the info. I’m assuming this is the original engine that came on the bike. The front brake looks like a regular drum brake found on most minis
The early Broncs used an inner brake assembly in the front hub and the newer ones went with a band brake around the front hub from what I understand from Bronc history talking to Ron Kimball from Powertec. Ron was a great guy and was very blessed to know him.

BTW - Nice Bronc.

The early Broncs used an inner brake assembly in the front hub and the newer ones went with a band brake around the front hub from what I understand from Bronc history talking to Ron Kimball from Powertec. Ron was a great guy and was very blessed to know him.

BTW - Nice Bronc.
I have a few original receipts from PowerTec that came with the bike dating back to the early 2000s I think. As far as the brake assembly on mine I’m assuming it has that inner brake in the hub. I didn’t see a band on the front. Now the rear brake needs some work because it has a band brake on the clutch. Haven’t removed the torque converter cover to look at it yet