Help putting clutch on

I was following ctjmini's guide on installing the HF 6.5 clone on my DB. I got to where it told me how to put the clutch on. I took the keyway off and slid the clutch on but the keyway wouldn't go back in when I lined up the notches on the clutch and shaft. Instead of using my head and filing it down or lubing it I just tried to hit the keyway in with a hammer. The keyway is now stuck halfway in and I can't get it back off. Can anyone tell me how to either put the keyway the rest of the way in or take it back out? I really need help and I'm afraid I screwed up either the clutch or the engine.

hammers are for building houses:hammer:

weld a washer to the end of keyway and use a slide hammer
with a hook tip to yank it out....

I was following ctjmini's guide on installing the HF 6.5 clone on my DB. I got to where it told me how to put the clutch on. I took the keyway off and slid the clutch on but the keyway wouldn't go back in when I lined up the notches on the clutch and shaft. Instead of using my head and filing it down or lubing it I just tried to hit the keyway in with a hammer. The keyway is now stuck halfway in and I can't get it back off. Can anyone tell me how to either put the keyway the rest of the way in or take it back out? I really need help and I'm afraid I screwed up either the clutch or the engine.
I'd use a gear puller on the clutch ...If that don't work maybe try a die grinder and spilit the clutch hub and pull it off ...or use a heat gun on the clutch and dryice on the crank ( that will shrink the crank and expand the clutch ) good luck bro ...

well I can't weld so that's not gonna happen...

I screwed up real bad
You stepped in it with both feet FMC! But it'll come out, sure as it went in! Just listen to the advice and get it done! I bought an engine that had a key jammed into the keyway, someone had hammered it on till it broke the clutch bushing! I heated it with a propane torch and used a set of linemans pliers across the face of the crank end and used the leverege to pull it right out! Good luck!:thumbsup:

Look FMC...Quit screwing around and looking for the "easy fix". Go to any hardware store and get yourself a gear or pulley puller and do the job right. They only cost about 10 to 15 bucks. Why ruin a brand new $30.00 clutch? And next time...if it doesn't fit...sit back and think about the problem before reaching for a sledge hammer. Ogy

So heating the clutch would help? I'm just wary of breaking the clutch since its brand new
Not the clutch! The crank end and key only, if you heat the clutch directly you will kill the spring and it will take off as soon as you start it! Use heat sparringly and focused on the part you want hot, if you hammered it too much it might take some luck and magic to get it out! And I'm fresh out of magic! I wish you lived here in OKC, we'd have you riding in no time! Dont heat the clutch, only the end of the crank you can see and wear some good gloves so as not to burn the hell out of yourself!
And only try a puller as a last resort! If the key is askew in there a puller will only get it more stuck! You want the keystock out, period! A puller can screw up a clutch anyway, you cannot get a bite on anything solid! Dont use a puller unless you are prepared to buy a new clutch!

Last edited:
I used a puller and slowly got the whole thing off. Here's some pictures of the clutch now. If anyone sees any damage from these pics, let me know. On the picture with the springs showing it looks like the spring to the right is broken but from what I can see it just looks like thats where it attaches to another spring.

It does'nt appear to be damaged, if a clutch is stuck really badly it will be damaged by a puller if you're not carefull. Looks like you got it off just fine, keystock generally slides right in but I have seen irregular stock that seemed to be less than square! Now you know not to force it and came out with a lesson learned, a good outcome!:thumbsup: And the part of the spring you thought was broken is just where it joins together!

Got everything on all right! I used an angle grinder to slim down the key and after it slid in perfectly I noticed it was too long so I cut half of it off with the angle grinder and smoothed out everything.

I used a puller and slowly got the whole thing off. Here's some pictures of the clutch now. If anyone sees any damage from these pics, let me know. On the picture with the springs showing it looks like the spring to the right is broken but from what I can see it just looks like thats where it attaches to another spring.
Dear FatMan, You'll never know how pleased I am that you took my advice and used a puller even though others advised against it. I've been around for a long long time and the one thing I have learned is that when you do make a mistake it's best to sit back and think about what is the best way to undo it. Most people have a tendency to want to get it resolved quickly and thus they begin yanking, pulling, pounding, heating, grinding, burning and smashing and end up compounding the original mistake. The other bit of wisdom that I have learned is that there is TOOL FOR EVERYTHING. You just have to know what you're looking for and then where to find it. Your clutch looks perfect. You just saved 30 bucks or more and now you have a puller which you will definitely use again if you plan to be around minibikes for some time. Good luck. Ogy

Dear FatMan, You'll never know how pleased I am that you took my advice and used a puller even though others advised against it. I've been around for a long long time and the one thing I have learned is that when you do make a mistake it's best to sit back and think about what is the best way to undo it. Most people have a tendency to want to get it resolved quickly and thus they begin yanking, pulling, pounding, heating, grinding, burning and smashing and end up compounding the original mistake. The other bit of wisdom that I have learned is that there is TOOL FOR EVERYTHING. You just have to know what you're looking for and then where to find it. Your clutch looks perfect. You just saved 30 bucks or more and now you have a puller which you will definitely use again if you plan to be around minibikes for some time. Good luck. Ogy
I am guessing you've never used a puller on a truly stuck clutch Ogy, because if a clutch is truly stuck by rust and time a puller will remove it. Just not intact, it will destroy the bell and bushing for certain! Honestly FMC's clutch issue could have been solved with a pair of linesman's pliers and a good pair of gloves, if the key would have been lodged in the keyway the puller could have dug it in and galled the crank badly and the puller could have galled the threads in the crank! I have bought dozens of minibikes and engines with stuck clutches and have ruined several with a puller, even after spraying penatrating oil for days! This was a brand new engine and clutch, the keystock was in a bind sticking out probably an inch and needed to be removed before that clutch came off! Yes your advice worked but was not sound IMO it could have cost him more than a clutch! He got lucky period!:hammer::hammer::hammer:

TomH

Don't forget, you can rent a good quality tool, and some auto parts houses like O'Reillies let you borrow tools. Probably have to buy something though.