Help with 2006 Tomberlin FireHawk (similar to baja) LED headlight problems :/

Hello,
Recently found a nice round chrome housing with glass front(as the one on bike was missing). I took out halogen bulb? (i believe?) and installed a 6 high powered LED HI/LOW beam assembly.
The assembly has all the SMD voltage regulators and resistors(on the assembly). It's a chinese one.

Problem I'm having, is I'm guessing, is burning out the Hi powered LEDs one by one.
I'm guessing the mini bike has a magneto generator to generate the 12VDC for headlights. Also have a taillight with 2 LEDs but has been working fine with no problems.
At idle they are a bit dim but reving up or going up in RPMs or speed, the lights get brighter(normal correct?)
I'm wondering if I need to add a current limiting resistor in line? The assembly is made for 12VDC systems...
Any help input appreciated.

thomas

Best thing to do would be to measure the voltage with the engine running. rev it and see what it goes up to. If it is going over 15 volts, that is probably what is frying the lights.

Best thing to do would be to measure the voltage with the engine running. rev it and see what it goes up to. If it is going over 15 volts, that is probably what is frying the lights.
Thanks for the reply :)

I'll check that...guess I could check amps/current as well on my multimeter...
I did a quick search here and in another post someone mention AC instead of DC...? It's DC voltage I'm dealing with, correct?
btw, my engine is a Mitsubishi 6Hp GT600, 182cc, and max output of 4.4kW (6.0ps).

t

Unless you have the model with the electric starter, your charging system is putting out AC voltage. They all put out AC until rectified. (Diodes)

Your system was designed for incandescent (regular automotive) bulbs which use AC or DC. LEDs require DC. The only way to really tell is to use an o-scope on it.

To fix the issue of burning out LED's, you need to rectify the AC to DC, and probably put a regulator in it. (LEDs don't draw enough load to prevent over-volts) Somewhere here are some links to inexpensive rectifiers for these engines. You can even make them yourself. If it were me, I'd stick with SIX volt incandescent bulbs. I doubt your magneto is putting out 12 volts on two legs, or the required wattage for two bulbs. Most of them are six.

Unless you have the model with the electric starter, your charging system is putting out AC voltage. They all put out AC until rectified. (Diodes)

Your system was designed for incandescent (regular automotive) bulbs which use AC or DC. LEDs require DC. The only way to really tell is to use an o-scope on it.

To fix the issue of burning out LED's, you need to rectify the AC to DC, and probably put a regulator in it. (LEDs don't draw enough load to prevent over-volts) Somewhere here are some links to inexpensive rectifiers for these engines. You can even make them yourself. If it were me, I'd stick with SIX volt incandescent bulbs. I doubt your magneto is putting out 12 volts on two legs, or the required wattage for two bulbs. Most of them are six.
Yep :) Just checked and the output is AC...should've checked before. I made a full wave rectifier (4 diodes) and now getting DC volts.

Thanks again,

thomas