Help with 72 Suzuki Trailhopper MT50

Hello all. I'm new here. Found the site researching my trailhopper. My mom got this for toolling around their farm in 72. In 1988 it became mine. The last time I was able to ride it was somewhere around 2010. Since then it has sat in my various garages unused. Unfortunately, the petcock got completely destroyed and it all got gummed up with old fuel and oil. I cleaned out all the lines, took apart and cleaned the carb and put it all back together two or three times in the last year. I cannot get it to stay running. I basically ran a basic petcock and tried running two stroke gas. It'll run for a minute or so, but then revs out and dies. I want it to run and I had a couple of questions. Parts are extremely difficult to find, though I do have an original shop manual believe it or not.

1. Is there any replacement carb that would work?

2. Is there any basic motor I could buy from Amazon or something and install with minimal but doable fabrication?

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Hello @Devryn Drives ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

Don't give up on your motor.

Be patient and source a carburetor.

Once you change that, See if it will continue running.

Someone with knowledge will be along, and should be able to advise.

In the meantime, Google is your friend
Search for trailhopper carburetor.

Also, post some pics of your bike, and a closeup of the carb, and any identifying marks on the engine.

While you are looking for a carb, take that one completely apart and soak all of the parts in carb cleaner.
Push small wires and blow air through every hole until you verify that it is coming out somewhere else.
I think you have a piece of junk in there somewhere.

While you are looking for a carb, take that one completely apart and soak all of the parts in carb cleaner.
Push small wires and blow air through every hole until you verify that it is coming out somewhere else.
I think you have a piece of junk in there somewhere.
Yep. All done. Soaked it and the parts in that berrymans carb cleaner paintcan. Pulled all the jets and and cleared them individually. Used my compressor to make sure air moves through every passage and no blockages.

Yep. All done. Soaked it and the parts in that berrymans carb cleaner paintcan. Pulled all the jets and and cleared them individually. Used my compressor to make sure air moves through every passage and no blockages.
Look for a carb or rebuild kit for a ts50 gaucho. There are a couple on eBay now. Or maybe a new carb from a jr50 would fit. Also is the injection system still functioning? They sell rebuild kit for the pump.

Look for a carb or rebuild kit for a ts50 gaucho. There are a couple on eBay now. Or maybe a new carb from a jr50 would fit. Also is the injection system still functioning? They sell rebuild kit for the pump.
I don't know honestly. I hoped to take it out if the equation by just running two stroke in the gasoline.