Help with Briggs 5hp parts

Recently picked up a 130202 for dirt cheap.
The clutch side crank is too short for most centrifugal clutches I know of. With a tiny bit of online research, people suggest swapping to the longer crankshaft. My question is, where can I find this at? Part number?
Where can I find any replacement or upgrade parts for this engine. I haven’t been into the flat top game and am new to this.
Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

joshua. c.

For aftermarket parts, dyno cams has camshafts and springs and arc racing has billet rods and billet flywheels and for headers check out roberts torque tubes.

As far as mounting a clutch on that short crank as long as the keyway in the clutch reaches the keyway slot in the crank you should still be able to mount it so I suppose it depends on the clutch. Most clutches mount using a bolt in the end of the crank to hold them on so it should still be posible.

pomfish

Always wondered why a machined dowel with a keyway slot that would be secured by the end bolt could not be used to extend the shaft provided it was more than 1/2 the way thru to begin with.
I have a fresh rebuilt 5hp in the garage that a guy built and then discovered he couldn't use a Comet style system but they are usually a little deeper than regular centrifugal clutch so gave it to me free. Have plenty of other Briggs available in stock so never messed with it and think changing crank is not usually economically feasible.

If you have room for a jackshaft you could always just run a regular sprocket on the engine and mount clutch on the sprocket side of the shaft.
Frame you show does not look like it would be a easy candidate for this however.

Old azz Goodyear tire on the at rim also, don't see many of those.

Where part of the country are you located?
Info helps as parts may be right next door to you form another member here, we aim to help :)

Actually, a crank swap only requires a crank and a side cover gasket. Ebay has cranks for 130202 engines. Look at the pictures to be sure the PTO is what you need. I look also for the words "FREE SHIPPING".

If you are local, I have parts and tools.

Always wondered why a machined dowel with a keyway slot that would be secured by the end bolt could not be used to extend the shaft provided it was more than 1/2 the way thru to begin with.
I have a fresh rebuilt 5hp in the garage that a guy built and then discovered he couldn't use a Comet style system but they are usually a little deeper than regular centrifugal clutch so gave it to me free. Have plenty of other Briggs available in stock so never messed with it and think changing crank is not usually economically feasible.

If you have room for a jackshaft you could always just run a regular sprocket on the engine and mount clutch on the sprocket side of the shaft.
Frame you show does not look like it would be a easy candidate for this however.

Old azz Goodyear tire on the at rim also, don't see many of those.

Where part of the country are you located?
Info helps as parts may be right next door to you form another member here, we aim to help :)
Thanks for the ideas! I’m in Oklahoma. Don’t worry, I’ll get some new tires lol. That’s an old Rupp frame.

Unless you are somehow married to that engine I would say find another engine with a "mini bike friendly" crank . They are out there- you just have to put some effort in and start looking. That 1992 engine you have there is not vintage, period correct, rare, collectible, or valuable- not worth the trouble (time + $$) unless you can get a good crank REAL cheap.
Michael

Last edited:
Actually, a crank swap only requires a crank and a side cover gasket. Ebay has cranks for 130202 engines. Look at the pictures to be sure the PTO is what you need. I look also for the words "FREE SHIPPING".

If you are local, I have parts and tools.
Be real careful if you are considering purchasing a USED crank on eBay. In addition to what sparkwizard already advised about making sure the PTO end is correct (also the flywheel side end!) you are taking a chance that the crank could be worn past Briggs "reject" specs at the crank pin or either of the journals even though it "looks" good w/o any scoring. It does not hurt to ask the seller for measurements- just saying...
Michaerl

Unless you are somehow married to that engine I would say find another engine with a "mini bike friendly" crank . They are out there- you just have to put some effort in and start looking. That 1992 engine you have there is not vintage, period correct, rare, collectible, or valuable- not worth the trouble (time + $$) unless you can get a good crank REAL cheap.
Michael
Appreciate the heads up! I’m not stuck on this motor. It just kinda fell in my lap. It’s definitely not worth the cost to fix it up. I’m still trying to find some decent parts for the 5hp flat top. All the recommended sites are either very pricy or out of stock on the most basic parts. Any ideas?

Thepaetsguy

Any thoughts on this engine? Sorry guys, I’m new at this. This engine is fairly close to me.
I know these have the iron sleeve. But I’m not sure on parts availability or shaft length.
thanks!
DU bushing on the flywheel side. most likely a bearing PTO. I really don’t like du bushing blocks. I have never ran one but at the factory they went through the trouble of the iron bore and to get bearings and sidecovers for the PTO side.. Why not go through the trouble to put it all in a bearing block?