Help with honda GC160

Alright, so I need some help. I'm hooking up a Honda GC160 on my bike, it ran perfectly before I hooked it up. The only "mods" are the header, air filter kit, and crankcase breather. I'm trying to hook up a different tank to eliminate the stock side tank and the fuel pump setup. However, when I fill the tank with gas, gas fills up the bowl and comes dripping out of the air filter in a nice steady stream. At first I thought randomly maybe I damaged the float needle, took the carb apart and the float needle is fine. Why is it doing this and what do I need to do to fix it? Do I need to install a valve coming off the tank? The motor fires up fine when I pull the tank and let it run off the gas in the carb bowl, but whenever the tank is hooked back up gas just comes pouring out of the air filter. Thanks for the help, and here's a couple pics to let you know what I'm trying to work with.

Bike is looking good JD ! :thumbsup: I had the same problem when I put the 97cc on Lil Bill for the grandkids...gas coming out of the air filter. I could tear the carb down and clean the heck out of it with brake cleaner and air, and it seem to help for a hour maybe. I ended up buying a new carb off ebay and installing a inline fuel filter that came with it and I've had no more problems.

Bike is looking good JD ! :thumbsup: I had the same problem when I put the 97cc on Lil Bill for the grandkids...gas coming out of the air filter. I could tear the carb down and clean the heck out of it with brake cleaner and air, and it seem to help for a hour maybe. I ended up buying a new carb off ebay and installing a inline fuel filter that came with it and I've had no more problems.
Thanks man, just working out all the little kinks now. I may just pick up a new carb and see if it helps, just pissed it showed no signs of any problems before!

Thanks man, just working out all the little kinks now. I may just pick up a new carb and see if it helps, just pissed it showed no signs of any problems before!
I know the felling :censure: mine just started and wouldn't stop...so I threw it in the trash. New one wasn't much less than $20.00. Good Luck !

Well, after thoroughly cleaning the carb and it still doing it, I just went ahead and ordered a new carb, and ordered a petcock valve. I'll post the results when I get the parts in to see if it the issue got resolved.

Briggs had the same problem;the gas would seep past the pressed in seat for the needle and they had a "service kit" for it.....Check it out in a Briggs Manual :wink:

Make sure if your using an air filter adapter that it isn't blocking the small passages on the back of the carb. My carb drove me crazy until I realized they were getting blocked off by the adapter. Took it off and the engine ran great, just needed some small tweaking to the adapter and problem solved!

Make sure if your using an air filter adapter that it isn't blocking the small passages on the back of the carb. My carb drove me crazy until I realized they were getting blocked off by the adapter. Took it off and the engine ran great, just needed some small tweaking to the adapter and problem solved!
Wow, great advice man! Pulled off the air adapter, motor ran great. The adapter was blocking this hole, the one on the upper left:

Threw the adapter on the drill press, drilled a hole, and bam, back to starting on one pull without leaking gas everywhere!