Help with rusted jackshaft

AlexS

I've got the bike torn down other than this rusted mess. I took a nut off one side and a C clip and washer off the other. Anybody that has any experience with these and would like to give me their input I would sure appreciate it. Here are some pictures of what it looks like.

Attachments

Because I have a sandblaster, I'd hit it with that first. Then give it a few smacks to see if it loosened enough to come apart. If not, it would be time to get out the torch. Nothing can resist heat when you're taking stuff apart.
I've had very little luck with penetrating oils.

Joe

AlexS

Because I have a sandblaster, I'd hit it with that first. Then give it a few smacks to see if it loosened enough to come apart. If not, it would be time to get out the torch. Nothing can resist heat when you're taking stuff apart.
I've had very little luck with penetrating oils.

Joe
Is there anything you see that I have failed to take off? I've never messed with a jackshaft before so I've yet to get too violent with that shaft. If it looks to you like rust is the only thing holding it i will take a torch to it tomorrow.

AlexS

Did you remove all the set screw/Socket Screws on the sprocket/gears?
No I didn't...I looked in those holes and only saw rust, but wasn't sure if anything was supposed to be in there. I will try to clean them out and see if they are in there. thanks for the help!!!

No I didn't...I looked in those holes and only saw rust, but wasn't sure if anything was supposed to be in there. I will try to clean them out and see if they are in there. thanks for the help!!!
As rusty as the set screws probably are you might have your best luck drilling them out with a left handed drill bit. Would probably be more effective than trying an allen wrench and you need some GIBBS penetrant to soak those pieces with. Give it a few days with a couple of applications of GIBBS a day and you should be getting stuff to move.

Buy it direct from this guy and let it do its thing. Do a search on here for Gibbs and read about it. Best stuff I have ever used and the only thing I use now to penetrate rust.

Welcome to GIBBS Brand Lubricant

Doug

T-Town Mini

This is a different jackshaft but, like yours, the rust situation had locked the gears in place:

Before:

After:

Obviously, in order to remove the jackshaft I had to get the gears to slide along the shaft, first. This, of course, then permitted removal from the bike frame to continue cleaning it up.

I used strips of fine sandpaper to clean much of the rust build up off the jackshaft and smoothed it out with scotchbrite and a little oil to finish it. It took a lot of work, a lot of penetrant oil and, a lot of pounding to free it up. But, it was doable.

AlexS

Thanks for all the tips guys. There was only one set screw left and i was able to get it out. After a lot of wd40 and Buckeye's BFH suggestion i was able to get all the gears spinning but the shaft wouldn't come out. I believe because the end was mushroomed/ground down(noticed it was like that when i took the bolt out). So my friend Mr. Hacksaw and I had to cannibalize it :sad: . I'm hoping i can still use the belt sprocket(not sure if thats what it is called). If I'm not able to it won't be the end of the world, just thought it would be cool to use the original.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

On a good not I've got almost everything sanded down and cleared. It is starting to look awesome!!!! :drinkup:

Last edited:
Alex, the belt sprocket is referred to as the "driven." I'm no expert, but yours might be a V-plex model, and hard to come by. Don't hammer on it. Find the center, and drill that shaft out. You could then cut the remaining bit of shaft at the spline (groove) and maybe tap it out like that.

AlexS

Alex, the belt sprocket is referred to as the "driven." I'm no expert, but yours might be a V-plex model, and hard to come by. Don't hammer on it. Find the center, and drill that shaft out. You could then cut the remaining bit of shaft at the spline (groove) and maybe tap it out like that.

Hey Dave thanks for the info on the driven. You are correct about it being a V-Plex, I looked today and saw the stamp. Hopefully when I'm ready to set up the jackshaft i will be able to get that old shaft out and reuse the rest.